PHILADELPHIA – The Penn women’s tennis team (1-0) defeated Lehigh (0-1) on Saturday, 7-0, at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers are now 14-0 all-time against the Mountain Hawks, and have won all 11 of their home matches in the series.
Sol Eskenazi (1-0) led off the day in first singles, defeating Jenai Bilimoria (0-1) in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. Following Eskenazi in second singles was junior co-captain Stephanie Do (1-0), who dispatched her opponent Abby Farrell (0-1) in straight set as well, 6-2, 6-0. Alex Ion (1-0) bested Alexandra Kaminetsky (0-1) in straight sets at third singles, 6-0, 6-1. At fourth singles, Katherine Jania (1-0) made her Penn spring debut, and the rookie showed off her skill in her defeat of Emily Bruch (0-1) without losing a game in either set, 6-0, 6-0. At fifth singles was Emma Whitfield (1-0), and she prevailed over Molly Brooks (0-1), 6-2, 6-0. The final singles match of the day was at sixth singles where senior co-captain Jules Rodin (1-0) got the better of Jill Sloand (0-1), 6-1, 6-1.
At first doubles, the duo of Do and Eskenazi (1-0) defeated Bilimoria and Farrel (0-1) quickly, 8-2. Second singles saw Sonya Latycheva pair up with fellow rookie Jania (1-0), and the two freshmen made easy work of Books and Kaminetsky (0-1), 8-1. In the final match of the day, Ion and Whitfield (1-0) teamed up to defeat Bruch and Sloand (0-1) at third doubles, 8-2.
The Quakers will be back in action later today as they welcome Saint Joseph’s to Levy at 4 p.m. for the second half of their home doubleheader.
Penn 7, Lehigh 0Doubles
1. Stephanie Do/Sol Eskenazi (Penn) def. Jenai Bilimoria/Abby Farrell (Lehigh); 8-2
2. Sonya Latycheva/Katherine Jania (Penn) def. Molly Brooks/Alexandra Kaminetsky (Lehigh); 8-1
3. Alex Ion/Emma Whitfield (Penn) def. Emily Bruch/Jill Sloand (Lehigh); 8-2
1. Eskenazi (Penn) def. Bilimoria (Lehigh); 6-2, 6-0
2. Do (Penn) def. Farrell (Lehigh); 6-2, 6-0
3. Ion (Penn) def. Kaminetsky (Lehigh); 6-0, 6-1
4. Jania (Penn) def. Bruch (Lehigh); 6-0, 6-0
5. Whitfield (Penn) def. Brooks (Lehigh); 6-2, 6-0
6. Rodin (Penn) def. Sloand (Lehigh); 6-1, 6-1