Penn Women’s Tennis on Facebook
HANOVER, N.H. – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team (10-5, 2-2 Ivy) defeated Dartmouth (7-7, 0-3) in Hanover, N.H. on Saturday afternoon 5-2. The Quakers swept doubles play and took four of six in singles for their second Ivy victory of the season.
The first doubles duo of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (13-1, 4-0) just cannot seem to be stopped as they won their 10th match in a row, defeating the Big Green’s top pair 8-3. Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (5-3, 2-2) got back in the win column as well, taking third doubles 8-2. Second doubles did not finish on the afternoon, so Katherine Jania and Jaime Yapp-Shing (0-3, 0-2) took the no decision.
Latycheva (10-4, 2-2) was the first to finish in singles play and the freshman won in straight sets at third singles for her second Ivy win. Eskenazi (11-3, 3-1) earned her third consecutive victory, taking first singles next in straight sets as well. Yapp-Shing (6-3, 2-1) won her match at fourth singles in straight sets also, earning her third victory in her last four matches – the win also sealed the overall victory for the Quakers.
Next to finish was second singles where Do (9-6, 1-3) earned her first Ivy win of the season in a hard fought straight set win – the junior co-captain won both sets in a tiebreak. Srinidhi Raghavan (0-4, 0-3) and Alex Ion (6-8, 1-2) were the last to finish as each dropped very competitive matches at sixth and fifth singles, respectively.
Penn will be back on the courts tomorrow afternoon for a noon match at Harvard in Cambridge, Mass.
Penn 5, Dartmouth 2
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Katherine Yau (D); 6-4, 6-1
2. Stephanie Do (P) def. Akiko Okuda (D); 7-6(4), 7-5
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Melissa Matsuoka (D); 6-2, 6-3
4. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) def. Sarah Bessen (D); 6-4, 6-4
5. Suzy Tan (D) def. Alex Ion (P); 5-7, 7-6(4), 10-8
6. Christina Danosi (D) def. Srinidhi Raghavan (P); 6-7(6), 6-4, 10-6
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Okuda/Yau (D); 8-3
2. Jania/Yapp-Shing (P) vs. Bessen/Matsuoka (D); 7-4 DNF
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Keong/Reichel (D); 8-2