Penn Women’s Tennis on Facebook
ITHACA, N.Y. – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team (10-8, 2-5 Ivy) completed its season on Sunday afternoon in Ithaca, N.Y. The Quakers fell in a heartbreaker to Cornell (14-4, 3-4) after beginning the match by winning the doubles point. Penn finishes the season with 10 overall victories, its most in five seasons.
The Red and Blue fell behind early, as Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (7-5, 3-4) dropped their match at second doubles for the first of the day. The Quakers would come back and take the overall point, though, winning at third and first doubles. Srinidhi Raghavan and Jaime Yapp-Shing (1-1, 1-0) dropped their opponents for the 8-6 win at three, their first of the season. The No. 44-ranked pair of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (15-2, 6-1) was able to bounce back from a tough loss against Columbia on Friday for their 15th victory of the spring at first doubles, 9-8.
Penn headed into singles play needing to win half of the six matches in order to defeat Cornell. Things did not start well for the Quakers as Do (9-9, 1-6) and Yapp-Shing (6-5, 2-3) were both on the wrong end of the first two matches to finish at second and fourth singles, respectively. Eskenazi (13-3, 5-1) would notch her 13th win of the season at first singles, giving Penn that first victory.
Emma Whitfield (4-5, 0-2) was next to finish at sixth singles, but unfortunately the senior dropped her final match in the Red and Blue in straight sets. Penn needed to win the next two for the overall victory, but was only able to win at third singles. Latycheva (12-5, 4-3) finished her rookie season over .500 in Ivy play, winning her 12th match of the spring.
The Quakers have now finished their regular season play for the spring and will be back in action next fall. They graduate two seniors, Whitfield and co-captain Jules Rodin but return the rest of their young squad.
Cornell 4, Penn 3
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Sarah O’Neil (C); 6-2, 6-3
2. Christine Ordway (C) def. Stephanie Do (P); 6-3, 6-0
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Ryann Young (C); 4-6, 6-4, 12-10
4. Dena Tanenbaum (C) def. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P); 6-0, 6-4
5. Laila Judeh (C) def. Alex Ion (P); 6-4, 6-2
6. Lauren Frazier (C) def. Emma Whitfield (P); 6-4, 6-2
1. No. 44 Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Ordway/Tanenbaum (C); 9-8
2. Frazier/Young (C) def. Do/Ion (P); 8-5
3. Srinidhi Raghavan/Yapp-Shing (P) def. Judeh/O’Neil (C); 8-6