PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team picked up its first win of the spring season Friday afternoon, defeating Akron 6-1, inside the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
After dropping its first two spring matches of the season, Penn (1-2, 0-0 Ivy) broke through against a previously undefeated Akron team (6-1).
The Quakers picked up their first point in doubles, the first time they’ve done so this spring. Playing as the No. 1 duo, Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel made quick work of Akron’s Olga Shkundina and Ksenia Berestetska, winning 6-1.
Playing in the No. 2 position, the freshman Daniel got Penn started with a 6-2, 6-0 victory. The Quakers then picked up wins from Ion, Eskenazi, Yapp-Shing and Do to finish with five singles wins.
Making her first appearance in the singles lineup this spring, Latycheva pushed her match to a tie-breaker, eventually falling in the third set 10-4.
Penn will have one day to rest, before returning to action on Sunday against Rutgers at 2 p.m. inside Levy Tennis Pavilion.
Penn 6, Akron 1
1. Eskenazi (Penn) def. Zerbola (Akron); 6-2, 6-1.
2. Daniel (Penn) def. Cohen (Akron); 6-2, 6-0.
3. Maksimava (Akron) def. Latycheva (Penn); 7-5, 3-6, 10-4
4. Yapp-Shing (Penn) def. Berestetska (Akron); 6-3, 6-3.
5. Do (Penn) def. Newnes (Akron); 6-3, 4-6, 10-7.
6. Ion (Penn) def. Briega (Akron); 6-2, 6-0.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (Penn) def. Shkundina/Berestetska (Akron); 6-1.
2. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (Penn) def. Newnes/Harpainter (Akron); 6-2.
3. Zerbola/Cohen (Akron) vs. Do/Ion (Penn); 4-3 DNF