PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – Eighty-degrees and sunny appears to suit the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team just fine, as the Quakers won for the second straight day on their spring trip to California, defeating Gonzaga, 5-2, Tuesday afternoon.
Penn (6-3) reeled off its fourth straight victory, after jumping ahead early winning on three doubles matches, to take a 1-0 lead over the Bulldogs (5-4). Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel played in the top pair, posting an 8-6 victory, while Jaime Yapp-Shing and Sonya Latycheva won, 8-7, and Stephanie Do and Alexandra Ion finished on top at 8-5.
In singles, Eskenazi picked up a 6-2, 6-0 victory in the No. 1 position to lead Penn, and the Red and Blue swept the bottom half of play with Do winning 6-1, 6-3 at No. 4, freshman Luba Vazhenina rolling 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 and Ion winning 7-6, 6-1 at the No. 6 position.
Daniel lost only her second singles match of the season, falling in a third set to Gonzaga’s Samantha Polayes 2-6, 6-2, 10-2. The Bulldogs also picked up a point in the third position.
Penn will have two days in California before its next match against UC Irvine (6-5), in Irvine. The match begins Friday afternoon at 4:30 Eastern time.
1. Sol Eskenazi (PENN) def. Kylie Peek (GON) 6-2, 6-0
2. Samantha Polayes (GON) def. Kana Daniel (PENN) 2-6, 6-2, 10-2
3. Katie Edwards (GON) def. Sonya Latycheva (PENN) 6-3, 6-2
4. Stephanie Do (PENN) def. Melanie Yates (GON) 6-1, 6-3
5. Luba Vazhenina (PENN) def. Isabell Klingert (GON) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alexandra Ion (PENN) def. Alexandra Tallas (GON) 7-6, 6-1
1. Sol Eskenazi/Kana Daniel (PENN) def. Kylie Peek/Samantha Polayes (GON) 8-6
2. Jaime Yapp-Shing/Sonya Latycheva (PENN) def. Melanie Yates/Isabell Klingert (GON) 8-7
3. Stephanie Do/Alexandra Ion (PENN) def. Katie Edwards/Alexandra Tallas (GON) 8-5