PHILADELPHIA – In a final match, third-set tiebreaker, University of Pennsylvania freshman Luba Vazhenina was outlasted 7-6 (9) by Harvard’s Hannah Morrill, giving the No. 46 Crimson a 4-3 victory over the Penn women’s tennis team on Sunday at Hamlin Tennis Center.
Penn (7-9, 0-5 Ivy) procured the doubles point after an 8-6 victory by Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel in the first position, and an 8-4 victory by Jaime Yapp-Shing and Sonya Latycheva in the second position.
Harvard (10-6, 2-2 Ivy) took singles matches in the second through fourth positions, with Daniel going to a third set in the second position, and Latycheva losing her first in a tiebreak.
Eskenazi was victorious in the first position for the Quakers, winning in straight sets 6-0, 6-2. Senior Stephanie Do, claimed her singles match in the sixth position 3-6, 6-5, 6-3.
Vazhenina won the first set in her match, 6-1, and then fell 6-4, before Harvard’s Morrill rallied to take the third set in the tiebreak.
Despite the 0-5 Ivy League mark, Penn’s defeats in league play have all been very competitive, coming down to just a few individual matches. The Quakers will look to turn their fortunes around this upcoming weekend as they close out their spring season and Ivy League play at Columbia on Friday and versus Cornell on Sunday.
Harvard 4, Penn 3
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Liang (H); 6-0, 6-2.
2. Lin, M. (H) def. Daniel (P); 1-6, 6-4, 6-3.
3. Lee (H) def. Latycheva (P); 7-6 (5), 7-5.
4. He (H) def. Yapp-Shing (P); 6-4, 6-4.
5. Morril (H) def. Vazhenina (P); 6-2, 3-6, 7-6 (9).
6. Do (P) def. Lin, A. (H); 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Lin, M./Morrill (H); 8-6.
2. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (P) def. Liang/Lee (H); 8-4.
3. Lin, A./He (H) def. Do/Vazhenina (P); 8-5.