UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Finishing the weekend trip against host Penn State, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team defeated the 57th-ranked Nittany Lions, 4-3, Sunday afternoon.
Penn (3-3) jumped out to a 1-0 start after the duos of Sonya Latycheva and Jaime Yapp-Shing, and Stephanie Do and Alex Ion won their respective double matches. Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel were leading their doubles match 6-2 when play was halted.
In singles, Eskenazi won her match in the No. 1 position in a tiebreak 6-1, 7-6 (1), with Do winning in three sets 6-7 (2), 6-0, 6-1, and Ion winning the clinching match 6-2, 6-2.
Penn had to rely on the strength of five players in singles due to the withdrawal of Yapp-Shing in the fourth position, which moved Do and Ion up in the order. Yapp-Shing injured herself yesterday afternoon against Marshall, competing in doubles versus Penn State, before being unable to play any further.
The victory makes the Quakers even with three wins and three losses heading into their break before the spring break trip. Penn will visit California over the break beginning on March 10. The Red and Blue will face Fairleigh Dickinson, Gonzaga, Niagara and UC Irvine on their five-day trip.
Penn 4, Penn State 3
1. Sol Eskenazi (PENN) def. Katia Blik (PSU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-1)
2. Dasha Sapogova (PSU) def. Kana Daniel (PENN) 6-2, 6-2
3. Carmen Sandor (PSU) def. Sonya Latycheva (PENN) 6-4, 2-2, retired
4. Stephanie Do (PENN) def. Marie Bedard (PSU) 6-7 (2-7), 6-0, 6-1
5. Alex Ion (PENN) def. Katherine Whiteaway (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Taylor Shukow (PSU) def. No player (PENN), by walkover
1. Marie Bedard/Dasha Sapogova (PSU) vs. Sol Eskenazi/Kana Daniel (PENN) 2-6, unfinished
2. Jaime Yapp-Shing/Sonya Latycheva (PENN) def. Carmen Sandor/Samantha Tutelman (PSU) 8-3
3. Stephanie Do/Luba Vazhenina (PENN) def. Katia Blik/Katherine Whiteaway (PSU) 8-4