NEW HAVEN, Conn. – On the road for a second straight Ivy match, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team, wasn’t able to take advantage of three singles victories, being edged by No. 52 Yale, 4-3 on Saturday afternoon.
Penn (7-6, 0-3 Ivy) was unable to capture the doubles point against the Bulldogs (9-8, 1-1 Ivy), winning one of three matches. Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel picked up the one match, playing in the one position, winning, 8-4.
In singles play, Eskenazi won her match in three sets, going to tiebreakers twice. Daniel and Sonya Latycheva, and Jaime Yapp-Shing were defeated in the No. 2 through No. 4 positions, with Daniel falling 7-5, 7-5.
Freshman Luba Vazhenina won her second singles match on the weekend, with a 6-3, 6-4 win in the fifth position. Senior Stephanie Do rounded out the Quakers singles victories , 7-5, 6-2 in the sixth position.
For the Quakers, they’ll look to notch their first Ivy win of the season when they face Dartmouth (5-7, 1-1 Ivy) and Harvard (9-5, 1-1 Ivy) this upcoming Saturday and Sunday. Both matches will begin at 12 p.m., and are slated to be played at the Hamlin Tennis Center in Philadelphia.
Yale 4, Penn 3
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Hamilton (Y); 6-7(5), 6-3, 4-3(5).
2. Yu (Y) def. Daniel (P); 7-5, 7-5.
3. Sullivan (Y) def. Latycheva (P); 6-1, 6-0.
4. R. Li (Y) def. Yapp-Shing (P); 6-1, 6-3.
5. Vezhenina (P) def. S. Li (Y); 6-3, 6-4.
6. Do (P) def. A. Li (Y); 7-5, 6-2.
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Hamilton/S. Li (Y); 8-4.
2. Yu/R. Li (Y) def. Latycheva/Yapp-Shing (P); 8-5.
3. Sullivan/Amos (Y) def. Vezhenina/Do (P); 8-2.