NEW YORK – On the road against a formidable opponent, the University of Pennsylvania women’s team battled with No. 37 Columbia in doubles matches, before ultimately falling, 6-1, on Friday.
Penn (7-10, 0-6 Ivy) saw its No. 2 and No. 3 doubles pairs push the Lions (16-3, 5-1 Ivy), with the duo of Jaime Yapp-Shing and Sonya Latycheva being edged, 8-6, in the second position, and Stephanie Do and Luba Vazhenina tied 6-6 and leading the set when play was halted, following Columbia clinchinthe No. 1 match.
Singles play saw the Quakers earn one point, when Columbia’s Ioana Alecsiu retired after one set against Yapp-Shing.
The best match of the day came in the sixth position, with Penn senior Stephanie Do and Columbia’s Tiana Takenaga playing a back-and-forth match all the way until the last point in a third set. Do fought hard, but came up just short falling 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-7.
Penn will return to action for the final time in the regular season, as the Quakers host Cornell (7-9, 0-6 Ivy) on Sunday. The Red and Blue will be celebrating Senior Day, and will honor their two seniors, Jaime Yapp-Shing and Stephanie Do. The match begins at 2 p.m. at Hamlin Tennis Center.
Columbia 6, Penn 1
1. Vaidya (C) def. Eskenazi (P); 6-3, 6-1.
2. Sanon (C) def. Daniel (P); 6-2, 6-1.
3. Jiang (C) def. Latycheva (P); 6-0, 6-0.
4. Leung (C) def. Vazhenina (P); 6-4, 6-2.
5. Yapp-Shing (P) def. Alecsiu (C); 5-7, ret.
6. Takenaga (C) def. Do; 3-6, 7-6(5), 10-7.
1. Sanon/Vaidya (C) def. Daniel/Eskenazi (P); 8-0.
2. Jiang/Leung (C) def. Latycheva/Yapp-Shing (P); 8-6.
3. Alecsiu/Takenaga (C) vs. Do/Vazhenina (P); 6-6 DNF.