Menís Tennis Sweeps Temple, 7-0
PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men's tennis team won its fourth match in a row on Wednesday afternoon, demolishing Temple, 7-0, at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers (4-1) improved to 21-0 all-time in their series with the Owls.
The Red and Blue grabbed the early lead in the match by holding on for the doubles point. After a split of matches at Nos. 2 and 3, Penn's No. 1 team of Jeremy Court and Zach Katz gave the Quakers the point thanks to a gutsy 8-6 win over Temple's Santiago Canete and Kacper Rams.
Once singles play began, Penn quickly extinguished the Owls' hopes. Blaine Willenborg was dominant out of the No. 2 position on his way to a 6-0, 6-2 win. Court followed shortly behind with a 6-3, 6-2 victory out of the No. 1 spot. Vim De Alwis clinched Penn's win with a 6-3, 6-4 decision at No. 5. Though the result was determined, the Quakers didn't let up. Katz, Ismael Lahlou and Austin Kaplan all would post victories to help Penn rack up seven points.
The Quakers return to the courts next week, taking on Navy at 3 p.m. from the Levy Tennis Pavilion on Feb. 27.
1. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (Penn) def. Santiago Canete/Kacper Rams (Temple); 8-6
2. Sylvester Wee/Blaine Willenborg (P) def. Nicolas Paulus/Hernan Vasconez (T); 8-6
3. Kristian Marquart/Sam Rundle (T) def. Andrew Berman/Vim De Alwis (P); 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Court (P) def. Rams (T); 6-3, 6-2
2. Willenborg (P) def. Hicham Belkssir (T); 6-0, 6-2
3. Katz (P) def. Marquart (T); 6-2, 6-3
4. Ismael Lahlou (P) def. Paulus (T); 6-1, 6-4
5. De Alwis (P) def. Canete (T); 6-3, 6-4
6. Austin Kaplan (P) vs. Rundle (T); 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 5, 3, 4, 6