DELAND, FLA. – The Penn women’s tennis team (5-2) defeated James Madison (2-3, 1-2 CAA) on Sunday afternoon, 5-2, in DeLand, Fla. The Quakers halted their two-match skid by besting the Dukes on the Stetson University tennis courts in their first match of their annual spring break trip.
The Red and Blue began the day by winning two of three doubles matches and the point. At first doubles, the duo of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (5-1) dominated Taylor Pinchoff and Michelle Nguyen, 8-3. Jules Rodin and Jaime Yapp-Shing (1-1) evened their spring record by defeating Katherine Bulling and Cara Wirth at second doubles, also 8-3. The Dukes earned their lone doubles victory at the third flight as Jacky Palmucci and Ruxandra Andriescu bested Penn’s team of Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (1-1).
As for singles, the Quakers won four of the six matches, the point and other overall match. Eskenazi (5-1) started it off quickly, doing away with Pinchoff at first singles in straight sets. Do (5-2) had a hard fought match at second singles, but defeated Palmucci in three sets, winning the final one, 10-7. The freshman Latycheva (4-2) bested Andriescu at third singles in straight sets, while Ion (3-4) dropped her match at fourth singles in three sets to Bulling. Katherine Jania (5-2) emerged victorious at fifth singles over Megan Douglass in straight sets and Emma Whitfield (3-2) fell at sixth singles to Wirth in straight sets.
Penn will be back in action for its second spring break match on Monday at noon on the same courts against Stetson. Then, after a few days off, the Quakers will head to Fort Myers, Fla. to face Florida Gulf Coast on March 8 for their third and final match of the week.
Full Results –
Penn 5, JMU 2
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Taylor Pinchoff (J); 6-0, 6-1
2. Stephanie Do (P) def. Jacky Palmucci (J); 2-6, 6-4, 10-7
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Ruxandra Andriescu (J); 6-0, 6-4
4. Katherine Bulling (J) def. Alex Ion (P); 2-6, 6-2, 11-9
5. Katherine Jania (P) def. Megan Douglass (J); 6-2, 6-1
6. Cara Wirth (J) def. Emma Whitfield (P); 6-0, 6-1
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Pinchoff/Nguyen (J); 8-3
2. Rodin/Yapp-Shing (P) def. Bulling/Wirth (J); 8-3
3. Palmucci/Andriescu (J) def. Do/Ion (P); 8-5