For the second straight match on the team's swing through Florida, only the No. 3 doubles team was able to claim a victory. Sylvester Wee and Austin Kaplan earned a hard-fought 9-8 (7-5) win, but losses from the Nos. 1 and 2 teams made it a moot point. Playing at No. 1, Zach Katz and Nikola Kocovic lost, 8-6, to the second-ranked doubles team in all of Division II tennis.
Singles proved to be a battle of attrition, as four of the six matches required a third set to decide a winner. Kocovic fell at No. 1 to the seventh-ranked singles player at the Division II level, losing in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. Down the ladder at No. 6, Vim De Alwis picked up Penn's first point of the day, 7-6 and 7-5.
The match was very much in doubt at that point, but the Buccaneers wrapped it up with wins in three of the final four matches. Only Ismael Lahlou, playing at No. 3, was able to pick up a point. He downed Fabian Groetsch, 6-4, 3-6, 7-5.
Penn plays its final match in Florida tomorrow against South Florida. The match in Tampa is scheduled for 2 p.m.
1. #7 Marco Mokrzycki (BU) def. Nikola Kocovic (PENN) 6-2, 6-4
2. Max Wimmer (BU) def. Jeremy Court (PENN) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Ismael Lahlou (PENN) def. #16 Fabian Groetsch (BU) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
4. Renato Lombardi (BU) def. Zach Katz (PENN) 6-1, 5-7, 6-4
5. Leo Vivas (BU) def. Blaine Willenborg (PENN) 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 7-5
6. Vim De Alwis (PENN) def. Eduardo Alfonzo (BU) 7-6, 7-5
1. #2 Marco Mokrzycki/Fabian Groetsch (BU) def. Nikola Kocovic/Zach Katz (PENN) 8-6
2. Leo Vivas/Max Wimmer (BU) def. Vim De Alwis/Jeremy Court (PENN) 8-5
3. Sylvester Wee/Austin Kaplan (PENN) def. Romain Costamagna/Ollie Lemaitre (BU) 9-8 (7-5)