FORT MYERS, FLA. – The Penn women tennis team (7-2) extended its winning streak to three matches with a tight, 4-3, victory over Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers, Fla. on Friday afternoon. The Quakers took the doubles point with ease, but depended on Alex Ion (4-5) to win the deciding match at fifth singles for the victory.
Penn’s 24th-ranked first doubles duo of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (7-1) won the first match of the day easily over Morgan Bechtel and Bettina Botha of the Eagles, 8-1. Second doubles saw Jules Rodin and Jaime Yapp-Shing (2-1) take down Gyanna Mandic Johanna Sterkel in a tight match, 8-6. Stephanie Do and Ion (2-1) played to a 6-6 tie against Emma and Sarah Means at third doubles, but the match would finish.
Eskenazi (7-1) bested Sarah Means at first singles in straight sets, winning the second set in a tiebreak. At second singles, Do (6-3) fell to Mandic in three sets – the Penn co-captain would win the second set. Latycheva (6-2) continued her hot streak since moving back to third singles. The freshman topped Sterkel in straight sets for her fourth consecutive victory. Srinidhi Raghavan (0-1) made her spring debut, but dropped her match at fourth singles. The sophomore took the first set against Bechtel, but would drop the next two and the match. Emma Whitfield (3-3) lost her match at sixth singles to Botha in straight sets. The match at fifth singles was the final one of the evening, as Ion bested Elizabeth Means in three sets, winning the last two after dropping the first.
The Red and Blue will be off for an eight-day break before they travel to College Park, Md. to face Maryland on March 16 for a match scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
Penn 4, Florida Gulf Coast 3
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Sarah Means (F); 6-2, 7-5
2. Gyanna Mandic (F) def. Stephanie Do (P); 6-1, 4-6, 6-0
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Johanna Sterkel (F); 6-2, 6-4
4. Morgan Bechtel (F) def. Srinidhi Raghavan (P); 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Alex Ion (P) def. Elizabeth Means (F); 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
6. Bettina Botha (F) def. Emma Whitfield (P); 6-4, 6-4
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Bechtel/Botha (F); 8-1
2. Rodin/Yapp-Shing (P) def. Mandic/Sterkel (F); 8-6
3. Do/Ion (P) vs. Means/Means (F); 6-6 (did not finish)