PHILADELPHIA – The Penn women’s tennis team (8-3) continued its best start since 2006 on Saturday with a dominant 7-0 victory over Big 5 rival Temple (5-9, 2-3 A-10) at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The match began at noon and the Quakers quickly gained the upper hand, winning the doubles point quickly.
First and third singles were done rather promptly as Penn took doubles right away. Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (9-1) earned their sixth straight win as the Quakers’ top doubles duo against the Owls, winning their match 8-1. Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (4-1) won their third consecutive match together as well, taking third doubles 8-2. Penn dropped their second doubles match as Srinidhi Raghavan and Jaime Yapp-Shing (0-1) fell in a hard fought, three-game tiebreak, 8-7.
The Red and Blue were unbeatable in singles play on the afternoon, sweeping Temple in all six matches to seal the 7-0 overall victory. Eskenazi (8-2) and Ion (5-6) had the quickest matches as they won at first and fifth singles, respectively, in straight sets without losing a game. Do (8-3), Latycheva (8-2) and Yapp-Shing (4-2) won at second, third and fourth singles as well. Emma Whitfield (4-3) finished the day for the Quakers with her win at sixth singles. Penn now leads the all-time series 26-6 and is 21-5 at home against the Owls.
Penn will be back on the courts on March 30 for its first Ivy League action of the season. Princeton comes to Philadelphia for a match scheduled to begin at noon, and barring any inclement weather, the Quakers will make their spring debut at the Hamlin Tennis Center as well.
Penn 7, Temple 0
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Alicia Doms (T); 6-0, 6-0
2. Stephanie Do (P) def. Yana Mavrina (T); 6-3, 6-3
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Jordan Batey (T); 6-3, 6-2
4. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) def. Rebecca Breland (T); 6-3, 6-2
5. Alex Ion (P) def. Carly Bohman (T); 6-0, 6-0
6. Emma Whitfield (P) def. Maame Ama Osei (T); 6-3, 6-4
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Batey/Doms; 8-1
2. Breland/Mavrina (T) def. Srinidhi Raghavan/Yapp-Shing (P); 8-7 (3)
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Grimaldi/Osei (T); 8-2