Baltimore, Md. - The men's tennis team improved to 5-1 on the season with a closer-than-the-score indicates win at UMBC, 7-0. Three singles matches went the full three sets and two of those were decided in a third-set tiebreaker. The team next embarks on week-long trip through Florida.
With the sweep in doubles, Penn gained a 1-0 edge over the Retrievers as the No. 1 team of Ivan Turudic and Nikola Kocovic won for the fourth straight time since being paired together earlier in the spring. Jeremy Court and Zach Katz improved to 3-1 together in an 8-4 beatdown at No. 3, while Phil Law and Mark Milbrandt were also victorious in their first match as a pair, winning at No. 2 by a score of 9-8.
With only three courts available, the singles matches were split up with the Nos. 1-3 matches taking place first. All three wound up going the distance but the Quakers came out on top in each to go up 4-0 and guarantee themselves the victory. At No. 1, Law rallied from a set down to claim 6-4 and 6-4 wins in each of the final two sets while at Nos. 2 and 3, a third set tiebreak was needed. Playing No. 2, Kocovic got past UMBC's Joe Adewumi by a score of 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4) while at No. 3, Rob Wong moved to 2-1 in singles in the spring with a 2-6, 6-1, 7-6(3) win against Juan Manual Aranzazu.
With the match in hand, the Nos. 4-6 singles players quickly dispatched of their opposition, as all three were able to win in straight sets. Court became the first Penn player to reach double-digit victories in singles this season, getting his 10th in 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 4 and Jason Lin (No. 5, 6-4, 6-4) and Katz (No. 6, 6-2, 6-2) rounded out the scoring with victories of their own.
The Quakers travel to Florida this week, starting their trip off with a 12 p.m. match at Stetson on Monday.
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ivan Turudic/Nikola Kocovic (P) def. Cristian Hodel/Joe Adewumi (UMBC), 8-6
2. Phil Law/Mark Milbrandt (P) def. Juan Manual Aranzazu/Daniel Gray (UMBC), 9-8
3. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P) def. Gaulthier Berret/Kamal Patel (UMBC), 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 6, 5, 4
1. Law (P) def. Hodel (UMBC), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Kocovic (P) def. Adewumi (UMBC), 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(4)
3. Rob Wong (P) def. Aranzazu (UMBC), 2-6, 6-1, 7-6(3)
4. Court (P) def. Berret (UMBC), 6-2, 7-5
5. Jason Lin (P) def. Gray (UMBC), 6-4, 6-4
6. Katz (P) def. Patel (UMBC), 6-2, 6-2