Stetson came out fast, winning the Nos. 2 and 3 doubles matches by scores of 8-4, and the No. 1 match, 8-2. It was the first time this season that Mark Milbrandt and Rob Wong played at No. 1 doubles. With the three-match sweep, Stetson went up 1-0 leading into singles.
Although he played doubles against UMBC on Saturday, Ivan Turudic skipped the singles match. He returned to his usual spot at No. 1 on Monday but lost to Stetson's Maksim Levanovich by set scores of 6-4 and 6-2 as the Hatters went up, 2-0. Zach Katz reduced the deficit to one a few minutes later, defeating Jacobo Herrero, 6-3, 6-2 to move to 4-0 in singles during the spring.
Nikola Kocovic, playing No. 2 singles, was the next match to finish despite going a full three sets. Kocovic dropped a set early, 3-6, but recovered to win the second set in a 7-6 tiebreak and then dominated the final set, 6-2, to tie the match at 2-2. Court then gave the Quakers their first lead of the day with a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4 to push the Red and Blue to the brink of victory. Unfortunately, that would be their last win of the day, as Phil Law and Jason Lin each dropped three-set matches, giving the final two points to Stetson for the 4-3 victory.
The team continues its road-trip through the state of Florida on Wednesday taking on Florida Southern in Lakeland. That match is set to begin at 3 p.m.
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Njal Stene/Hans Adrian Riseng (S) def. Mark Milbrandt/Rob Wong (P), 8-2
2. Maksim Levanovich/Chester Espie (S) def. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P), 8-4
3. Didrik Berg/Nathan Debut (S) def. Ivan Turudic/Phil Law (P), 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 6, 2, 4, 5, 3
1. Levanovich (S) def. Turudic (P), 6-4, 6-2
2. Kocovic (P) def Stene (S), 3-6, 7-6, 6-2
3. Berg (S) def. Law (P), 6-7, 6-1, 7-6
4. Court (P) def. Riseng (S), 6-3, 6-3
5. Debut (S) def. Jason Lin (P), 6-7, 7-5, 6-1
6. Katz (P) def. Jacobo Herrero (S), 6-3, 6-2