Fort Myers, Fla. - In a grueling, five hour match in the Florida heat, the #75 men's tennis team took a 3-0 lead on Florida Gulf Coast, only to see the Eagles rally to make it 3-2 before the Quakers gutted out two final victories in singles for a 5-2 win on Friday afternoon.
In what is quickly becoming the norm, Penn took a 1-0 lead from doubles, posting wins at Nos. 1 and 3. Ivan Turudic and Nikola Kocovic had no trouble at No. 1, trouncing FGCU's Jackson Moore and Tianyu Bao, 8-2. Jeremy Court and Zach Katz assured the early lead when they won at No. 3, 8-6.
Court and Jason Magnes put Penn ahead 3-0 quickly once singles began. Magnes was the first winner, putting down Michael Beiler in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-4. Court used a first-set tiebreaker to pick up his victory, 7-6(2), 6-4, over Dean Tsamas.
With a 3-0 lead, the Quakers were on the doorstep of wrapping up the win, but FGCU had something left to say before it was all over. Wins by Bao and Moore over Turudic and Kocovic in Nos. 1 and 2 singles pulled the Eagles back to within a single point at 3-2 and raised the stakes for the remaining matches.
Both Katz and Jason Lin had lost their opening set in Nos. 4 and 5, so the Quakers momentarily appeared to be in a bit of a predicament, but the experienced duo bounced back to tie their matches at a set apiece. With the outcome hanging in the balance, Lin was able to earn a break on Matthew Rock and wrap up the match with a 6-4 win in the third. Katz did the same shortly thereafter, also claiming a 6-4 victory in the final set.
Penn (7-3) returns to action next weekend, traveling to Virginia for a pair of dual matches. The Red and Blue will face Old Dominion on Saturday morning at 10 a.m., followed by William & Mary on Sunday at 9 a.m.
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Ivan Turudic/Nikola Kocovic (P) def. Jackson Moore/Tianyu Bao (F) 8-2
2. Matthew Rock/Lance Lvovsky (F) def. Rob Wong/Jason Lin (P) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P) def. Dean Tsamas/Collin Brown (F) 8-6
Order of Finish: 6, 3, 2, 1, 4, 5
1. Tianyu Bao (F) def. #83 Ivan Turudic (P) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
2. Jackson Moore (F) def. Nikola Kocovic (P) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
3. Jeremy Court (P) def. Dean Tsamas (F) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
4. Jason Lin (P) def. Matthew Rock (F) 1-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Zach Katz (P) def. Lance Lvovsky (F) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
6. Jason Magnes (P) def. Michael Beiler (F) 6-4, 6-4