Men's Tennis Clipped by Penn State, 6-1
State College, Pa. - The Penn men's tennis team made Penn State work, but in the end the Quakers failed to present much of a challenge to their Big Ten brethren, falling in the spring season opener on Saturday, 6-1. Sophomore Jeremy Court won at No. 2 singles to provide the Red and Blue with their lone point.
After Penn State took the 1-0 lead courtesy of three wins in doubles, the Nittany Lions doubled their edge after a win at No. 4 singles over Penn's Blaine Willenborg. The next four matches swung the scales in PSU's favor, as only Court could take advantage and earn a win on the day for Penn. The returning second-team All-Ivy member took down Roman Trkulja, 6-1 and 7-5.
The other three matches were all heartbreakers for the Quakers, as Penn State was able to secure each with just a single break in either set. Nikola Kocovic, Ismael Lahlou and Vim De Alwis all were defeated by identical scores of 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the win for the home side. Austin Kaplan was the other member of the squad in action. He fell at No. 6 singles, 7-5, 6-1.
Penn is back in action tomorrow, hosting the first home event of the season inside Levy Tennis Pavilion when they tangle with Buffalo. Doubles action will get underway at 1 p.m. with singles to follow.
Penn State 6, Penn 1
1. Bader/Chen(PSU) def. Kocovic/Court(Penn), 8-2.
2. Griffin/Welnetz(PSU) def. Kaplan/Lahlou(Penn), 8-1
3. Hanzlik/Trkulja(PSU) def. De Alwis/Sylvester Wee(Penn), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2
1. Bryan Welnetz(PSU) def. Nikola Kocovic(Penn), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jeremy Court(Penn) def. Roman Trkulja(PSU), 6-1, 7-5
3. Tomas Hanzlik(PSU) def. Ismael Lahlou(Penn), 6-4, 6-4
4. Russell Bader(PSU) def. Blaine Willenborg(Penn), 6-0, 6-2
5. Chris Young(PSU) def. Vim De Alwis(Penn), 6-4, 6-4
6. Matt Barry(PSU) def. Austin Kaplan(Penn), 7-5, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,3,5,6