Men's Tennis Handles Buffalo, 6-1
PHILADELPHIA - The men's tennis team evened its record on the young season with an impressive 6-1 win over the Buffalo Bulls on Sunday from the Levy Tennis Pavilion. Buffalo's lone point of the afternoon came with a win in a third-set tiebreaker.
Penn put itself in the driver's seat early on, taking a 1-0 lead after the doubles teams of Vim De Alwis/Sylvester Wee and Austin Kaplan/Zach Katz each downed their Buffalo counterparts by identical scores of 8-2. Sitting out the doubles action was Blaine Willenborg, who showed fresh legs in wrapping up his No. 4 singles match first, winning 6-4 and 6-2.
Jeremy Court and Nikola Kocovic switched spots at No. 1 singles on Sunday, a move that worked well for each. Court quickly took down UB's Vusa Hove (6-4, 6-2) and Kocovic rallied in the first set to earn a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Damien David. With Kocovic's win securing the necessary fourth point for the Quakers, the Red and Blue received additional wins from De Alwis at No. 5 singles (6-4, 6-2) and Kaplan in No. 6 singles (2-6, 7-6, 7-6).
The Quakers continue a three-match homestand in 10 days' time, hosting Georgetown at Feb. 13 with action beginning at 2:30 p.m.
1. Damien David/Akhil Mehta (UB) def. Jeremy Court/Nikola Kocovic (Penn); 8-7
2. Austin Kaplan/Zach Katz (Penn) def. Sebastian Ionescu/Ashwin Sharma (UB); 8-2
3. Vim De Alwis/Sylvester Wee (Penn) def. Pablo Alvarez/Vusa Hove (UB); 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1
1. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Vusa Hove (UB); 6-4, 6-2
2. Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Damien David (UB); 7-5, 6-3
3. Sebastian Ionescu (UB) def. Ismael Lahlou (Penn); 7-5, 3-6, 10-6
4. Blaine Willenborg (Penn) def. Pablo Alvarez (UB); 6-4, 6-2
5. Vim De Alwis (Penn) def. Ashwin Sharma (UB); 6-4, 6-2
6. Austin Kaplan (Penn) def. Akhil Mehta (UB); 2-6, 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish: 4,1,2,5,3,6