WILLIAMSBURG, VA. – The Penn women’s tennis team (4-1) dropped its first match of the season, 6-1, to Colonial Athletic Association powerhouse No. 37 William and Mary (9-2). The Quakers will continue its road trip Sunday against Old Dominion (6-3) in Norfolk, Va. at 10 a.m.
The Quakers’ 22nd-ranked doubles duo of Sonya Latycheva and Sol Eskenazi (3-1) suffered its first loss of the season to the Tribe’s No. 4 pair of Maria Belaya and Jeltje Loomans, 8-3, at first doubles. Second doubles went to William and Mary’s Anika Cepeda and Hope Johnson, as Jules Rodin and Katherine Jania (0-1) fell, 8-1. Stephanie Do and Alex Ion played at third doubles, but their match was abandoned as they trailed, 5-2, to Leeza Nemhinov and Sydney Smith.
Eskenazi (3-1) earned Penn’s lone victory of the day, defeating Loomans in three sets at first singles – Loomans retired in the third set as she trailed 4-1. Second singles saw Do (4-1) drop her first match of the spring, falling to Belaya in straight sets. Latycheva (2-2) fell at third singles, winning the second set in a tie break, but falling in three sets to Nemhinov. Ion (3-2) dropped her match at fourth singles in straight sets to Cepeda. Jania (4-1) suffered her first defeat of the spring as well, falling at fifth singles to Johnson in straight sets. Emma Whitfield (3-1) also dropped her first match of the season, falling in straight sets to Smith.
William and Mary 6, Penn 1
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Jeltje Loomans (W); 3-6, 6-4, 4-1 (ret.)
2. Maria Belaya (W) def. Stephanie Do (P); 6-1, 6-0
3. Leeza Nemhinov (W) def. Sonya Latycheva (P); 6-3, 6-7, 6-0
4. Anik Cepeda (W) def. Alex Ion (P); 7-6, 6-1
5. Hope Johnson (W) def. Katherine Jania (P); 7-6, 6-0
6. Sydney Smith (W) def. Emma Whitfield (P); 6-4, 6-3
1. Belaya/Loomans (W) def. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P); 8-3
2. Cepeda/Johnson (W) def. Rodin/Jania (P); 8-1
3. Nemchinov/Smith (W) vs. Do/Ion (P); 5-2 (abandoned)