NORFOLK, VA. – The Penn women’s tennis team (4-2) was able to get its doubles play back on track on Sunday, winning two of the three matches, but was unable to capitalize against Old Dominion (7-3) in singles play. The Quakers dropped four of the six singles matches, and fell to the Lady Monarchs, 4-3, for their second loss of the season. The Red and Blue now lead the all-time series, 9-3, after Sunday’s loss, and are 0-2 against Colonial Athletic Association competition this season after their weekend stay in Virginia.
Penn was able to get off to a good start and win two of the three doubles matches. The No. 22 duo of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (4-1) was able to get back on track at first doubles, defeating Diana Ivanova and Nikol Hristova, 8-6. Second doubles saw co-captain Jules Rodin and Jaime Yapp-Shing (0-1) fall to Julianne Pires and Melissa Esnal Olguin in a tiebreak, 9-7. The Quakers took the third doubles match as Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (1-0) bested Ivana Vukovic and Nika Khmolovska, 8-6.
Eskenazi (4-1) earned her second consecutive victory, defeating Ivanova in straight sets (7-5, 6-1) at first singles. Do (4-2) was taken down in straight sets at second singles by Hristova. Third singles saw the freshman Latycheva (3-2) get back on the right track after two straight losses, defeating Pires in straight sets. Ion (3-3) dropped her third match of the spring, falling at fourth singles to Esnal Olguin in three sets after winning the first, 6-3. Katherine Jania (4-2) lost to Khmolovska in straight sets at sixth singles as well.
Penn will be back in action during their spring trip to Florida. They will meet James Madison and Stetson in DeLand, Fla. on March 3 and 4, and Florida Gulf Coast on March 8 in Fort Myers, Fla.
Old Dominion 4, Penn 3
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Diana Ivanova (O); 7-5, 6-1
2. Nikol Hristova (O) def. Stephanie Do (P); 6-2, 6-3
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Julianne Pires (O); 6-2, 6-1
4. Ivana Vukovic (O) def. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P); 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Melissa Esnal Olguin (O) def. Alex Ion (P); 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Nika Khmolovska (O) def. Katherine Jania (P); 6-2, 6-4
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Ivanova/Hristova (O); 8-6
2. Pires/Esnal Olguin (O) def. Rodin/Yapp-Shing (P); 9-7
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Vukovic/Khmolovska (O); 8-6