VESTAL, N.Y. – In the final nonconference matchup of the spring season, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team defeated Binghamton Saturday afternoon at the Sports Complex, 5-2. After dropping the doubles point, the Quakers came back to take five of the six singles matches for the victory.
Even though the Red and Blue did not finish the day with the doubles point, the first match win went to junior Jeremy Court and senior co-captain Zach Katz, who easily handled their opponents, 8-2. Unfortunately, the duo of sophomores Austin Kaplan and Vim De Alwis at the No. 3 spot were the next doubles match to complete, falling 8-4 to the Bearcats. In a hard-fought effort, the No. 1 pairing of senior co-captain Nikola Kocovic and freshman Matt Nardella fell 8-7, giving the doubles point to Binghamton.
Despite dropping the doubles point, Penn didn’t not put an ends to its efforts, winning five of the six singles matches.
First to earn a point, and tie the match at one each was Nardella, who easily took out his opponent Eliott Hureau in two sets (6-1, 6-2) at the No. 5 spot. De Alwis gave the Quakers the 2-1 lead with a two-set victory at the No. 2 spot, but the Bearcats tied the score at two with a win at No. 1.
It was the last time the score would be even as the Red and Blue went on to take the next three singles matches, two of which went to three sets. Freshman Marshall Sharp, at No. 6, was next to complete his match, winning the first set 7-5 but dropping the second 6-3. Sharp powered through the third set, winning 6-2.
Court finished his opponent, Bearcat Robin Lesage, off in two sets at the No. 3 slot by identical set scores of 6-4. Last to finish was Katz at No. 4, who was the other Quaker to finish with a victory after three sets.
Penn will conclude its spring season on Sunday at Cornell.
Penn 5, Binghamton 2
1. Alexander Maisin/Aswin Nambi (BU) def. Matt Nardella/Nikola Kocovic (P), 8-7
2. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P) def. Eliott Hureau/Janik Burri (BU), 8-2
3. Sid Hazarika/Ismael Dinia (BU) def. Austin Kaplan/Vim De Alwis (P), 8-4
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Sid Hazarika (BU) def. Nikola Kocovic (P), 6-2, 6-4
2. Vim De Alwis (P) def. Alexander Maisin (BU), 6-1, 7-5
3. Jeremy Court (P) def. Robin Lesage (BU), 6-4, 6-4
4. Zach Katz (P) def. Ismael Dinia (BU), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Matt Nardella (P) def. Eliott Hureau (BU), 6-1, 6-2
6. Marshall Sharp (P) def. Florian van Kann (BU), 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 6, 3, 4