Menís Tennis Knocks Off Second Ranked Ivy Opponent
Hanover, N.H. - The men's tennis team handed No. 62 Dartmouth just its third loss of the season on Sunday, dominating across the board to improve to 10-8 (2-3 Ivy) on the year.
With the Quakers and Big Green splitting the doubles matches at Nos. 2 and 3, the duo of Nikola Kocovic and Mark Milbrandt gutted out a 9-8 tiebreaker victory over Dartmouth's No. 1 team of Michael Laser and Alex de Chatellus to spot Penn a 1-0 lead headed into singles action.
Phil Law and Rob Wong each claimed straight-set wins to up the Penn margin to 3-0 before Dartmouth won its only match of the day in No. 5 singles. Locked in three-set matches, both Kocovic and Jeremy Court (making his debut at No. 2), were victorious to give the Quakers the necessary points to pull off the win. Playing at No. 6, Jason Lin won his first set over Brandon DeBot before the match was abandoned due to the outcome being decided.
The Quakers wrap up the regular season next weekend, first traveling to Cornell on Friday for a 2 p.m. match before closing out the home schedule on Sunday against Columbia on the Hamlin Tennis Center Courts, also at 2 p.m.
1. Kocovic/ Milbrandt (Penn) def Laser/Alex de Chatellus (Dar): 9-8
2. DeBot/Centenari (Dar) def Lin/Wong (Penn) 8-2
3. Court/ Katz (Penn) def. Michael Jacobs/Ghorbani (Dar): 8-5
1. Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Michael Laser (Dar): 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. Jeremy Court (Penn) def. Xander Centenari (Dar): 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Phil Law (Penn) def. Cameron Ghorbani (Dar): 6-4, 6-2
4. Rob Wong (Penn) def Chris Kipouras (Dar) 7-6, 6-3
5. Chris Ho (Dar) def Zach Katz (Penn): 6-2, 7-5
6. Brandon DeBot (Dar) vs Jason Lin (Penn): 3-6, abandoned