Menís Tennis Caps Homestand with 6-1 Win over UMBC
PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men's tennis team improved to 6-1 in the spring season and won its sixth consecutive home match on Saturday afternoon with a 6-1 defeat of UMBC at the Levy Tennis Pavilion.
The Quakers made quick work of the Retrievers in doubles, as the No. 1 team of Zach Katz and Nikola Kocovic won 8-2, and the No. 2 team of Jeremy Court and Vim De Alwis had an even easier time, taking an 8-1 decision. With the point decided, Mark Milbrandt and Sylvester Wee's match at No. 3 was ended, with the pair ahead by a score of 6-4.
Though Court's unbeaten stretch to open the spring was ended playing at No. 1 on Saturday, the rest of the team picked up wins in straight sets. Kocovic defeated Melker Svard at No. 2, 6-3 and 6-4, while fellow co-captain Katz picked up break points when needed in a 6-4, 7-5 victory. Ismael Lahlou also earned a hard-fought 6-4, 6-4 win at No. 3.
De Alwis had the easiest time of it at No. 5, overpowering his opponent in a 6-0, 6-2 demolition. Finishing up at No. 6, Wee claimed a 6-4, 7-6 win.
Today's match marked the end of a six-match homestand. The team now flies to Florida this week for three matches, taking on Florida Atlantic on March 4, Barry on March 6 and South Florida on March 7.
1. Zach Katz/Nikola Kocovic (Penn) def. Gaulthier Berret/Justin Carter (UMBC); 8-2
2. Jeremy Court/Vim De Alwis (Penn) def. Eliott Loubatie/Melker Svard (UMBC); 8-1
3. Mark Milbrandt/Sylvester Wee (Penn) vs. Alex Drean/Daniel Gray (UMBC); DNF (Penn led, 6-4)
1. Carter (UMBC) def. Court (Penn); 6-1, 6-2
2. Kocovic (Penn) def. Svard (UMBC); 6-3, 6-4
3. Ismael Lahlou (Penn) def. Alex Drean(UMBC); 6-4, 6-4
4. Katz (Penn) def. Berret (UMBC); 6-4, 7-5
5. De Alwis (Penn) def. Kamal Patel (UMBC); 6-0, 6-2
6. Wee (Penn) def. Loubatie (UMBC); 6-4, 7-6