Menís Tennis Stays Perfect at Home, Defeats Binghamton
PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men's tennis team snapped a three-match winning streak on Sunday afternoon, improving to 7-0 at home with a 6-1 win over Binghamton at the Hamlin Tennis Courts.
The Quakers were perfect in all three doubles matches, led by the No. 1 team of co-captains Zach Katz and Nikola Kocovic. The duo landed the first blow against the Bearcats with an 8-4 victory. Sylvester Wee and Austin Kaplan clinched a 1-0 lead with an 8-6 win at No. 2. Jeremy Court and Vim De Alwis closed out doubles with a 9-7 win at No. 3.
Katz quickly put Penn up a couple points with a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. Though Binghamton answered with a win at No. 3, De Alwis put the Quakers on the doorstep with a 6-2, 6-3 victory in the No. 6 match. Needing just one point out of the final three matches, all wrapped up within minutes of each other, with Kocovic rallying for a 5-7, 6-2, 6-3 win and claiming the win for the Red and Blue. Ismael Lahlou and Blaine Willenborg added wins at No. 2 and No. 5 to wrap up the day.
Penn will try to pick up its first road victory of the season next week when they travel to Richmond, Va. to take on Virginia Commonwealth in a 12 p.m. match on March 16.
1. Katz/Kocovic (P) def. Dinia/Bornkessel (B); 8-4
2. Kaplan/Wee (P) def. Lesage/Hazarika (B); 8-6
3. Court/De Alwis (P) def. Maisin/Hureau (B); 9-7
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. Kocovic (P) def. Lesage (B); 5-7, 6-2, 6-3
2. Lahlou (P) def. Maisin (B); 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
3. Hazarika (B) def. Court (P); 7-5, 6-3
4. Katz (P) def. Dinia (B); 6-3, 6-1
5. Willenborg (P) def. Hureau (B); 6-4, 7-6
6. De Alwis (P) def. van Kann (B); 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4,3,6,1,2,5