ITHACA, N.Y. – The spring season came to a close Sunday afternoon, when the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team fell to No. 52 Cornell in a hard-fought match at the Reis Tennis Center, 4-3. After dropping the doubles point, the Quakers battled back in the singles, winning three points from victories at No. 2, 4, and 5, but were unable to claim a fourth for the overall win. The Red and Blue end their season 7-14 overall, 3-4 Ivy.
The Big Red took the doubles point after winning at the No. 2 and No. 1 spots. Cornell’s No. 71 ranked pairing of Sam Fleck and Chris Vrabel defeated junior Jeremy Court and senior-co captain Zach Katz by a score of 8-3, and was followed by another Big Red win at the No. 1 spot from No. 49 ranked duo Jason Luu and Quoc-Daniel Nguyen over senior co-captain Nikola Kocovic and freshman Matt Nardella, 8-5.
Cornell was able to stay a step ahead of Penn the rest of the way, after the Big Red extended their lead to two with the first singles win at No. 3 by Bernardo Casares Rosa over Court in two sets (6-3, 6-1). The No. 2 singles was next to finish, as sophomore Vim De Alwis put the Quakers within one with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Stefan Vinti.
Freshman Marshall Sharp was fighting at No. 6, trying to win the second set after losing the first 7-5, but came up short falling 7-6, giving Cornell the 3-1 lead.
A three-set win at the No. 4 spot by Katz kept the Big Red at bay for a short while, until they clinched the match with a three-set win at No. 1 (6-4, 4-6, 6-3). Nardella wrapped things up with another three-set win at No. 5 over Chris Vrabel.
#52 CORNELL 4, PENN 3
1. #49 Jason Luu/Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (C) def. Nikola Kocovic/Matt Nardella, 8-5
2. #71 Sam Fleck/Chris Vrabel (C) def. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz, 8-3
3. Colin Sinclair/Bernardo Casares Rosa (C) vs. Austin Kaplan/Vim De Alwis, DNF
Order of finish: 2, 1
1. Sam Fleck (C) def. Nikola Kocovic, 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
2. Vim De Alwis (P) def. Stefan Vinti, 7-5, 6-2
3. Bernardo Casares Rosa (C) def. Jeremy Court, 6-3, 6-1
4. Zach Katz (P) def. Alex Sidney, 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
5. Matt Nardella (P) def. Chris Vrabel, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
6. Colin Sinclair (C) def. Marshall Sharp, 7-5, 7-6
Order of finish: 3, 2, 6, 4, 1, 5
Records: Cornell 13-8 (3-4 Ivy), Penn 7-14 (3-4 Ivy)