PHILADELPHIA – The Penn women’s tennis team (2-0) has started off 2013 the right way. After besting Lehigh (0-1) in the early match on Saturday, the Quakers defeated Saint Joseph’s (0-1) in the nightcap, 7-0, at Levy Tennis Pavilion and are now 3-0 all-time in the series. The best doubles pair in the Northeast Region, Sonya Latycheva and Sol Eskenazi (1-0), did not play together in the early match, but did pair up for the match against the Hawks, and earned their first win of the spring together.
The aforementioned pair of Eskenazi and Latycheva led off doubles action at first doubles. The young duo defeated Aurora Davis and Kristina Eisenbrand (0-1), 8-1. At second doubles, the pair of Jules Rodin and Alex Ion (1-0) bested Kelly Mulquin and Devi Jadeja (0-1) by the same score as well. The last doubles match saw Emma Whitfield and Stephanie Do (1-0) top Lauren Roy and Nicole Esposito (0-1) at third doubles, 8-0.
First singles pitted Eskenazi (2-0) against David (0-1), and saw the Penn sophomore win, 6-3, 6-3, in the toughest match for any Quaker during Saturday’s doubleheader. In second singles, Do (2-0) made quick work of Eisenbrand (0-1) in straight sets, 6-0, 6-0. Latycheva (1-0), playing at third singles in her Penn spring singles debut, dropped Jadeja (0-1) quickly as well, 6-0, 6-1. At fourth singles, Ion (2-0) defeated Arianne Polatnick (0-1) easily, 6-2, 6-1. Jania (2-0) took her place at fifth singles after shutting out her opponent against Lehigh, and the freshman was victorious again, topping Muluin (0-1). In the final singles match at six, Whitfield (2-0) defeated Anne Marie Devlin (0-1) easily, 6-0, 6-0.
Penn will be back in action after a long break when they welcome Rutgers to Philadelphia on Feb. 9 and Richmond on Feb. 10.
Penn 7, Saint Joseph's 0
1. Sol Eskenazi/Sonya Latycheva (Penn) def. Aurora Davis/Kristina Eisenbrand (Saint Joseph’s); 8-1
2. Jules Rodin/Alex Ion (Penn) def. Kelly Mulquin/Devi Jadeja (Saint Joseph’s); 8-1
3. Emma Whitfield/Stephanie Do (Penn) def. Lauren Roy/Nicole Esposito (Saint Joseph’s): 8-0
1. Eskenazi (Penn) def. Davis (Saint Joseph’s); 6-3, 6-3
2. Do (Penn) def. Eisenbrand (Saint Joseph’s); 6-0, 6-0
3. Latycheva (Penn) def. Jadeja (Saint Joseph’s); 6-0, 6-1
4. Ion (Penn) def. Mulquin (Saint Joseph’s); 6-2, 6-1
5. Katherine Janie (Penn) def. Arianne Polatnick (Saint Joseph’s); 6-1, 6-2
6. Whitfield (Penn) def. Anne Marie Devlin (Saint Joseph’s); 6-0, 6-0