DELAND, FLA. – The Penn women’s tennis team (6-2) extended its winning streak to two matches on Monday afternoon in DeLand, Fla. The Quakers defeated Stetson (3-3), 6-1, in the second match of their three-match spring break trip.
The Red and Blue’s top duo of Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (6-1) defeated Andrea Crespo and Sara Lazarevic at first doubles easily, 8-1, to get the day started. Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (2-1) also won their match effortlessly, 8-2, at third doubles over Diana Bukajeva and Jen Miller. The match at second doubles between Jules Rodin and Jaime Yapp-Shing (1-1) and Eveline Lepinay and Lindsey Cable went unfinished with Stetson leading, 4-1.
Do (6-2) completed her match at second singles fisrt, defeating Crespo in straight sets and was followed by Latycheva (5-2) winning her match at third singles in straight sets as well. Eskenazi (6-1) took her match in straight sets at first singles but Ion followed with Penn’s only loss of the day at fifth singles in straight sets by Alex Ion (3-5). Katherine Jania (6-2) won her match at sixth singles in straight sets, and Yapp-Shing (3-1) finished the day with a three-set win at fourth singles.
Penn will be back in action at the end of the week on Friday in Fort Myers, Fla. to face Florida Gulf Coast in the final match of the annual spring break trick.
Penn 6, Stetson 1
1. Sol Eskenazi (P) def. Sara Lazarevic (S); 6-1, 6-3
2. Stephanie Do (P) def. Andrea Crespo (S); 6-1, 6-2
3. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Lindsey Cable (S); 7-5, 6-0
4. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P) def. Clarke Tatje (S); 7-5, 1-6, 13-11 (1-0)
5. Jen Miller (S) def. Alex Ion (P); 6-2, 6-1
6. Katherine Jania (P) def. Eveline Lepinay (S); 6-4, 6-4
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Crespo/Lazarevic (S); 8-1
2. Lepinay/Cable (S) vs. Rodin/Yapp-Shing (P); 4-1 (unfinished)
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Bukajeva/Miller (S); 8-2