COLLEGE PARK, MD. – The Penn women’s tennis team (7-3) dropped a tight match to Maryland (5-5, 0-2 ACC) on Friday afternoon in College Park, Md. The Quakers started off the day well, winning the doubles point by taking the first and third flight matches. Unfortunately they were only able to win two of the six singles matches on the day and fell to the Terrapins, 4-3.
The second doubles match between Jules Rodin and Jaime Yapp-Shing (2-2) and Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina was the first to finish, but the Quaker duo fell, 8-1. The next match to finish on the afternoon was at third doubles – Stephanie Do and Alex Ion (3-1) defeated Olga Gaistruk and Gabriela Srodowski, 8-5. Sol Eskenazi and Sonya Latycheva (8-1) completed doubles play with an 8-6 victory in the first flight over Vroni Van Berlo and Sarah Gealer.
Eskenazi’s (7-2) match at first singles was the first to finish, but the sophomore was defeated by Van Berlo in straight sets for her first loss since winning her last five matches. Yapp-Shing (3-2) made her first appearance at second singles this spring, but fell to Gealer in straight sets as well. Latycheva (7-2) won at fourth singles, which was the next match to be completed, in straight sets over Gaistruck.
Katherine Jania (6-3) dropped the next match to finish at sixth singles, falling to Nataliya Bredikhina in straight sets – she lost the second set in a in an 11-point tiebreak, 7-6. Do (7-3) played at third singles and defeated Olga Bredikhina in three sets to bring the overall singles score to 3-2. The final and deciding match of the day was at fifth singles between Ion (4-6) and Srodowski. Ion fell in three sets, losing the final set in a 10-point tie break.
The Red and Blue will finally return home after their six-match road swing when they face Temple at the Hamlin Tennis Center on March 23 at noon.
Maryland 4, Penn 3
1. Vroni Van Berlo (M) def. Sol Eskenazi (P); 6-1, 6-2
2. Sarah Gealer (M) def. Jaime Yapp-Shing (P); 6-2, 6-1
3. Stephanie Do (P) def. Olga Bredikhina (M); 4-6, 6-0, 7-5
4. Sonya Latycheva (P) def. Olga Gaistruk (M); 6-1, 6-4
5. Gabriela Srodowski (M) def. Alex Ion (P); 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
6. Nataliya Bredikhina (M) def. Katherine Jania (P); 6-1, 7-6 (7-4)
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva (P) def. Van Berlo/Gealer (M); 8-6
2. Bredikhina/Bredikhina (M) def. Jules Rodin/Yapp-Shing (P); 8-1
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Gaistruk/Srodowski (M); 8-5