PALM SPRINGS, Calif. – In the first match of three in California over spring break, the University of Pennsylvania women’s tennis team defeated Rhode Island 5-2 Monday afternoon.
Starting with winning the doubles point, Penn (5-3) won its third straight match. Senior Jaime Yapp-Shing and sophomore Sonya Latycheva won their doubles match, 8-4, in the No. 2 position, while senior Stephanie Do and junior Alexandra Ion won 8-5 in the No. 3 position. Playing in the top pair were freshmen Kana Daniel and Luba Vazhenina, who led 5-4 when play was halted.
In singles play, the Quakers saw wins from Daniel in the second position 6-4, 6-0, and Do in the fourth position 6-3, 6-0. Vazhenina claimed her first singles match in team play for Penn, 6-2, 6-1, in the fifth position, while Ion cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 win in the sixth position.
Rhode Island (4-6) managed two points winning in the No. 1 and No. 3 position in singles.
Next up for Penn in California, will be Gonzaga (5-3) at 2 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday.
Penn 5, Rhode Island 2
1. Chernykh (RI)def. Latycheva (P); 6-4, 6-4
2. Daniel (P) def. Holden (RI); 6-4, 6-0
3. Uy (RI) def. Yapp-Shing (P); 1-6, 6-1, 10-7
4. Do (P) def. Sadovnikova (RI); 6-3, 6-0
5. Vazhenina (P) def. Asokaraj (RI); 6-2, 6-1
6. Ion (P) def. Rucks (RI); 6-0, 6-0
1. Daniel/Vazhenina (P) vs. Asokaraj/Uy (RI); 5-4 DNF
2. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (P) def. Holden/Rucks (RI); 8-4
3. Do/Ion (P) def. Chernykh/Sadovnikova (RI); 8-5