IRVINE, Calif. – With the match tied at three, University of Pennsylvania freshman Luba Vazhenina pushed her match against UC Irvine’s Kat Facey into a third set before falling, giving the Anteaters (8-5) the 4-3 victory over the Quakers Friday afternoon.
Penn (6-4) took the 1-0 lead after doubles play, getting wins in the top two positions, with Sol Eskenazi and Kana Daniel winning 8-6, and Jaime Yapp-Shing and Sonya Latycheva also winning 8-6. The third pair of Stephanie Do and Alexandra Ion were trailing 6-4, when play was halted.
The Quakers took only two singles matches, coming in the top two positions. Esekanzi won 6-1, 6-4, while Daniel won 6-3, 6-2. In the third position, Latycheva pushed her first set to a tiebreaker, but ultimately fell 7-6(3), 6-4.
Penn returns to Philadelphia from the West coast and will have a week off before facing Temple on Saturday March 22 at 12 p.m.
UC Irvine 4, Penn 3
1. Eskenazi (P) def. Gong (UCI); 6-1, 6-4
2. Daniel (P) def. Mamiit (UCI); 6-3, 6-2
3. Goettsching (UCI) def. Latycheva (P); 7-6(3), 6-4
4. Facey, A. (UCI) def. Do (P); 6-2, 6-0
5. Face, K. (UCI) def. Vazhenina (P); 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Stadfelt (UCI) def. Ion (P); 6-4, 6-3
1. Eskenazi/Daniel (P) def. Facey, A./Goettsching (UCI); 8-6
2. Yapp-Shing/Latycheva (P) def. Gong/Schweyer (UCI); 8-6
4. Facey, K./Stadfelt (UCI) vs. Do/Ion (P); 4-6 DNF