PHILADELPHIA –The University of Pennsylvania men’s fencing team topped off the weekend with an overall win at the US Collegiate Squad Championships, after taking first in sabre and second in foil and epee, on Sunday in The Coach Dave Micahnik Fencing Center. Joining the Quakers in the overall top three were Princeton and Brandeis.
Seeded first in all three weapons, the Red and Blue first fenced against Brandeis in sabre. Senior Michael Mills, junior Steven Yang, and sophomore Shaul Gordon defeated the Judges, 45-32. After advancing in the brackets, Penn was set to take on Ivy rival Princeton in the final bouts. Mills, Yang, and Gordon once again came out on top, defeating the Tigers, 45-25.
Next up for the Quakers was Haverford in foil. Junior Jason Chang, senior Sinatrio Raharjo, and sophomore Ira Schlosberg took out the Fords with their best score of the round, 45-15. The Red and Blue were then challenged by Boston College and came out with a second victory, 45-25. Penn was halted by Princeton in the final bouts, as the Tigers took the top spot in the bracket with a 45-36 win over the Quakers.
The Red and Blue received a bye to start off epee and the first opponent they faced was Yale. Senior Clifford Fishler, junior Rene Gannon-O’Gara, and sophomore R.J. Shipp took down the fellow member of the Ancient Eight, 45-29. In the final bouts, Ohio State claimed the spot on top with a 45-28 victory over Penn.
For full results, click here.
The Quakers will be back in action on March 8 when they participate in NCAA Regionals.
1. Penn- Gordon, Mills, Turner, Yang
2. Princeton- Dershwitz, Pak, Stone, Wiest
3. Brandeis – Loft, Mandel, Ochs-Willard
1. Princeton- Chen, Daniluk, Dudey, Politi
2. Penn- Chang, Elkassas, Raharjo, Schlosberg
3. Brandeis- Berman, Cardillo, Gazian, Levy
1. Ohio State- Bogard, Meyer, Tomlinson
2. Penn- Fishler, Gannon-O’Gara, Ibrahim, Shipp
3. Princeton- Granzio-Mackenzie, House, Hudson, O’Donnell