INDIANAPOLIS -- The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Fencing Committee announced on Tuesday the field of 144 competitors who will participate in the 2014 National Collegiate Men’s and Women’s Fencing Championships and on the list are nine fencers from the University of Pennsylvania, which is eighth most in the country. The men will send five – two epee, one foil, two sabre – while the women will send four – one epee, two foil, and one sabre. This year’s championships will be hosted by Ohio State at the French Fieldhouse in Columbus, Ohio.
NCAA Championships live stats can be found here.
Streams of the semi-final and championship bouts can be found here.
Qualification for the NCAA finals is not solely based on the performance at regionals, as it only accounts for 60 percent. The fencer’s regular-season bouts will also be taken into consideration, as it equates to the other 40 percent.
Placing the highest for any of the Quakers at the NCAA Mid Atlantic/South Regional was sophomore Shaul Gordon, who took second in men’s sabre and also holds the best individual record at 53-9 with a winning percentage of 85%. Last year, he finished as runner-up at the NCAA’s. Joining Gordon in sabre is junior Steven Yang. Yang finished right behind Gordon at regionals in third place and ended the season with a 26-13 record.
Representing the Red and Blue in men’s epee is sophomore R.J. Shipp and senior Clifford Fishler. At regionals, Shipp finished in fifth place and ended the season with a 44-17 record. Fishler, who placed seventh at regionals, competed at NCAA’s last year and returns this year with a 29-16 record.
The fifth man to represent Penn is junior foil fencer Jason Chang, took third at regionals and ended the season with 30 wins.
Only one veteran will compete at NCAA’s for the women as the Quakers will send four freshmen. Each of the women competing for the Red and Blue amassed at least 40 individual bout wins.
Women’s epee will see freshman Aleina Edwards, who ended the season with a 63% winning percentage and a record of 40-23, compete for the title. Out of the women from Penn who competed at regionals, Edwards placed the highest in any of the weapons, taking third.
Earning a spot in women’s sabre was fellow freshman Shyria Joshi. During the regular season, Joshi competed in all but one dual – Lafayette 1/26. She entered regionals with a 42-32 record and finished 11th.
Fencers will compete in a round-robin format of five-touch bouts. After the round-robin, the top-four finishers in each weapon will fence in semifinal 15-touch bouts, with the winners fencing to determine first and second places, and the non-advancing fencers being awarded a tie for third place.