2012 Season Stats
PHILADELPHIA - The Quakers (3-1) are off to their best start since the 1997 season and host Rider Wednesday night at 7:15 at Franklin Field.
• This will be the final game before Penn jumps into Ivy League play against Cornell in Ithaca Saturday afternoon.
• Rider (3-1) has wins against Villanova, Colgate and Hofstra and dropped its only game of the season to Drexel in the season-opener.
• Live stats will be available here.
• Fans can also follow the game on Twitter: @QuakerFH for updates
SERIES VS. RIDER
• This will be the third all-time matchup for Penn and Rider.
• The Quakers are 0-2 against the Broncs.
• The Broncs are currently riding a three-game winning streak after losing the season-opener 3-0 to Drexel in Philadelphia.
• Rider's balanced offensive attack has six players with at least one goal. The Broncs are led by Rachel Ippolite, Allison Muschs and Gabby Burgo who each have two goals in 2012.
• Goalkeeepers Alicia Carthan and Joelle Prettyman have both seen time the pipers for Rider. Prettyman (2-1) leads the team with 10 saves and a .714 save percentage.
• Rider has shutout two teams this season.
HOT START AT HOME
• The Quakers kicked off 2012 with a big 5-2 against Lehigh and a 4-3 victory over Towson.
• Penn had five different goal scorers for its five goals versus Lehigh.
• The Quakers started 2-0 for the first time under Head Coach Colleen Fink.
QUAKERS HOLD OFF LIBERY
• Penn started off strong against Liberty (2-3) Saturday, jumping out to a 4-1 lead by the second half before finally closing out a 5-4 victory.
• Amelia Cohen (2g), Julie Tahan Sunny Stirewalt and Sarah Hasson all found the goal in the first road game of the season.
• Carly Sokach held off two Liberty penalty corners in the final minute on her way to her third win of the season.
PENN DROPS FIRST OF THE YEAR
• After the first 3-0 start since 1995, the Quakers were handed their first defeat of the year by Appalachian State (2-3) in overtime Sunday.
• Elizabeth Hitti opened scoring off a pass from Sarah Hasson to give the Quakers an early 1-0 lead.
• Hitti also found Tahan for the second goal of the game. Tahan is the only Quaker to score in each game this season and is tied for second in the Ivy League in points.
• The Quakers had a 2-1 lead until the 66th minute when the Mountaineers' Jessi Stuart tied the game at 2-2.
• Appalachian State's Casey Lammando scored off a rebound in front of the goal for the game winner.
HITTI AND COHEN GRAB WEEKLY HONOR ROLL NODS
• Elizabeth Hitti followed up her Ivy League Rookie of the Week award with a Weekly Honor Roll nod. The freshman had a hand in each of the Quakers' goals against Appalachian State. She scored once and added an assist on a Tahan goal in the overtime loss. Hitti is tied for third in the Ivy League with three assists on the season.
• Amelia Cohen was named to her first Ivy League Honor Roll after the first multi-goal game of her career against Liberty Saturday. Cohen has scored four goals through four games this season and is tied for fourth in the Ivy League in goals scored.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN
• Junior Julie Tahan and senior Mandy Epstein were named captains for this season. Both started every game in 2011.
SIX NEWCOMERS JOIN THE RANKS
• Third-year Head Coach Colleen Fink welcomes a six-player freshman class for the 2012 season.
• The talented group is made up of Alex Agathis (Bedminster, N.J.), Emily Guthier (Jamison, Pa.), Lauren Hunter (Hightown, N.J.), Elizabeth Hitti (Ashland, Mass.), Megan Johnston (Haddonfield, N.J.) and Neela Mahanty (Chapel Hill, N.C.).
• The Quakers open Ivy League play this weekend on the road at Cornell on Saturday at noon.