PHILADELPHIA In a thrilling 4-3 win over defending Ivy League champion Brownon Saturday, the University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team set the school record with its 12th consecutive win.The Quakersfound themselves in a hole, down 3-1 and on the verge of losing their first match since Feb. 18 against Baylor. However, they recovered towin the final three singles matches to win the match.
Already down 1-0 after the doubles point, freshman Jonathan Boym picked up Penn’s first point with a 7-5, 2-6, 6-0 win over Eric Thomas. Jimmy Fairbanks and Justin Fox lost their matches, however,and the Red and Blue had their backs against the wall.
Penn got within one when Joseph Lok defeated Phil Charm 6-1, 6-2. Jason Pinsky then tied the match at 3-3 by beating Dan Hanegby 7-6(5), 6-2. It was up to the No. 2 match between Mikhail Bekker and Basu Ratnam, and in arguably the most grueling match of the day, Bekker prevailed 7-6(10), 4-6, 6-2 to give Penn the victory.
The Quakers are now 15-4 overall and 3-0 in the Ivy League. Brown falls to 13-10 overall and 1-1 in the Ancient Eight.
Penn hits the road for its next three Ivy League matches. The Red and Blue play at Harvard Friday at 2 p.m., and then on Saturday theyplay at Dartmouth at noon.
No. 52 Penn 4, No. 70 Brown 3
1. Phil Charm/Chris Lee (B) def. Jason Pinsky/Joseph Lok (P) 9-8(6)
2. Dan Hanegby/Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) 9-8(5)
3. Eric Thomas/Sam Garland (B) def. Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) 8-5
1.Jason Pinsky(P) def. Dan Hanegby (B) 7-6(5), 6-2
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Basu Ratnam (B) 7-6(10), 4-6, 6-2
3. Jonathan Boym (P) def. Eric Thomas (B) 7-5, 2-6, 6-0
4. Joseph Lok (P) def. Phil Charm (B)6-1, 6-2
5. Saurabh Kohli (B) def. Justin Fox (P) 7-6(5), 6-2
6. Chris Lee (B) def. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Singles Finish: 3, 6, 5, 4, 1, 2