RICHMOND - Virginia Commonwealth proved to be unwelcoming hosts on Saturday, defeating Penn, 6-1, in women's tennis action. The loss drops Penn's record to 2-1 on the season.
Julia Koulbitskaya had the best day for Penn, winning her singles match at number-three singles, 7-5, 2-0, ret. over Olena Leonchuck. She also teamed with Ekaterina Kosminskaya to win their doubles match, 8-5. This was the first match of the spring for the #14-ranked doubles team.
#23 VCU def. #56 Penn, 6-1
1. Julia Koulbitskaya and Ekaterina Kosminskaya (Penn)def. Tatsiana Uvarova and Viktoria Konstantinova (VCU), 8-5
2. Vera Petrasheveitch and Laura Burns (VCU) def. Yulia Rivelis and Alexa Ely (Penn), 9-7
3. Katerina Yergina and Olena Leonchuck (VCU)def. Charlotte Tansill and Amanda Avedissian (Penn), 8-3
1. Uvarova (VCU) def. Kosminskaya (Penn), 6-0, 6-2
2. Konstantinova (VCU) def. Rivelis (Penn), 7-6(2), 6-0
3. Koulbitskaya (Penn) def. Leonchuck (VCU), 7-5, 2-0, ret.
4. Yergina (VCU) def. Tansill (Penn), 6-3, 6-1
5. Burns (VCU) def. Ely (Penn), 6-2, 6-1
6. Petrashevitch (VCU) def. Michelle Mitchell (Penn), 8-3 (one set played)
The women play next Saturday at Maryland at 11 a.m.