Delaware Upends No. 17 Women's Lacrosse, 10-9

Box Score

NEWARK, Del. – Delaware’s Kristen Cellucci scored the gamewinner with 54 seconds left in regulation as the No. 18 University of Pennsylvania women’s lacrosse team fell, 10-9, Wednesday evening at a frigid and blustery Rullo Stadium.

The Quakers (4-2) lost for the second time in three games while the Blue Hens (2-3) scored four unanswered goals at the end of the game to overcome a 9-7 Penn advantage.

The game was a see-saw affair that saw both teams score in streaks. Although the Quakers controlled the tempo in the early going, Delaware ran out to a pair of quick goals to get an early lead. Alexis Curcio put the Blue Hens on the board first four minutes into the game, and Casey McCrudden made it 2-0 just 30 seconds later.

The Delaware lead didn’t last long. Ali Ryan scored with 17:59 remaining in the half. Lauren McDermott followed that with a caused turnover and a breakaway goal with 13:42 left. Kaitlin Farmer then followed suit, scoring on an unassisted breakaway two minutes later to give the Quakers their first lead of the game at 3-2. Emily Cochran picked up a goal a minute after that.

Debbie Sloan ended the Quakers’ run of four unanswered goals at 8:35 left, and Lindyn Soviero tied it back up at 4-4 just over a minute later.

Again, Penn went on a scoring streak. Becca Edwards broke the tie five minutes from the half with a sidearm shot into the side of the net. Less than a minute later, Melissa Lehman scored her ninth of the season and Ryan added her second with 1:28 to go to make it 7-4. Katie Muth stemmed the Quaker rally with 53 ticks remaining to make it a 7-5 game at the half.

The second half was no different. The Blue Hens came out quickly from the break. Jenny Diana hit a quick goal 48 seconds in the half, but Karen Jann answered for the Quakers four minutes into the half. Lehman continued the run with a free position goal at 20:37. Muth answered with a free position goal to cut the Penn lead to 9-7, and Diana added another just seconds later off the draw before Muth hit her third of the night on a free position with 9:53 left to tie the game. No one would score again until Cellucci’s gamewinner.

The Quakers had one last shot to send the game to overtime, but Edwards’ free position shot with 11 seconds left was blocked.

Karrie Moore took her first loss of the season in goal to go to 3-1. Despite the scoreline, Penn held a 30-15 advantage in shots.

The Quakers will pick up their schedule Saturday with their Ivy League opener at Yale at noon.