Fencing to Send Eight to NCAA Championships

INDIANAPOLIS – On Tuesday, the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Fencing Committee announced the field of 144 fencers who will participate in the 2015 National Collegiate Men’s and Women’s Fencing Championships, which will be hosted by Ohio State at the French Fieldhouse. Out of the maximum number of 12 (six men and six women) that can be sent from one institution, the University of Pennsylvania will be represented by eight fencers: Jake Raynis, Zsombor Garzo, Jason Chang, John Vaiani, Shaul Gordon, Steven Yang, Alejandra Trumble, and Sarah Parmacek.

A complete list of competitors can be found here.

Qualification for the NCAA Men’s and Women’s Fencing Championships was based upon a fencer’s performance at regionals as well as the regular-season bouts, with regional performances counting for 60% and the other 40% being the regular season bouting.

At the Mid-Atlantic/South Regional, six Quakers placed within the top five of their respective weapons, with three in the top two. Freshmen Jake Raynis and John Vaiani both took home silver on the men’s side, while senior captain Sarah Parmacek, not only highlighted the women but Penn overall with her title of Mid-Atlantic/South Regional Foil Champion.