Field Hockey Starts Strong, but Falls 4-2

Box Score

PHILADELPHIA - Field hockey had first-place Dartmouth on the ropes Saturday afternoon at Franklin Field, but ultimately the Big Green would finish strong and come out with the 4-2 win. The Quakers took a 2-1 lead into halftime, but the Big Green (7-3, 3-0) responded with three goals of their own in the second half to come away with the Ivy League win. For Penn, Sarah Hasson and Julie Tahan each tallied in the first half to help Penn gain the early advantage.

The game started out with the vast majority of the play taking place in the midfield with neither side able to take the early advantage offensively. The Quakers settled into their offense first when Emily Corcoran took the first shot of the game in the 10th minute of play. Her shot would be saved but a rebound would eventually find its way to Hasson who put a solid drive on the ball, finding the back of the net for the first goal of the afternoon. For Hasson, this was also the first goal of her junior campaign and the eighth goal of her Penn career. Tahan was credited with an assist on the early goal.

Dartmouth would get right back into the game just two minutes later. After a shot on the early penalty corner went wide for the Big Green, Dartmouth kept the possession in the offensive zone and got another shot on goal. This time, Ali Savage, whose shot went wide on the first attempt, found the back of the net from around the penalty stroke area.

Just over two minutes after Dartmouth tied the game, the Big Green threatened to take the lead with another pair of shots in the 14th minute. However, Kieran Sweeney was up to the challenge saving both the original shot and the rebound, keeping the game tied. Taking back possession, Corcoran would get her second shot of the game, but her attempt went wide of goal.

Just two minutes after Corcoran's second attempt on goal, Alex Iqbal looked to get into the offensive act. Her shot was also saved, but Penn was keeping up the solid offensive pressure on the Big Green defense early on. After each side traded a pair of attempts at each end, the defenses began to settle in and the majority of the play again shifted into the midfield with neither side gaining any substantial threats in the offensive zone.

In the 26th minute of play, Dartmouth's Savage would take her third attempt at goal, but Sweeney would again deny the Dartmouth attack. With the change in possession following the save, Penn took the ball down into its offensive zone and would stage another strong attack on the Dartmouth defense.

Penn earned its first penalty corner of the afternoon in the 33rd minute of play, but were unable to get a shot off on the original attempt. Just over a minute later, the Quakers would earn their second short corner attempt of the half and this time they would capitalize. With Helene Caniglia inserting the ball on the penalty corner, she found Tahan and the Quakers' penalty corner shooter would convert the chance for her team-leading third goal of the season. Caniglia was credited with an assist on the play.

Tahan's goal came with just over a minute left in the first half and Penn led at the half 2-1. Tahan's goal also marked the third goal that Penn has scored in the first half of a game and the first time all season that Penn has scored multiple goals in a game this season. The Quakers have now scored in eight consecutive games.

The second half saw Dartmouth come out strong as it was looking to remain unbeaten inside the Ivy League. The Big Green earned a penalty corner just three minutes into the second half and would hit the post on their original shot before a rebound came out and the second shot went wide of the goal. Shortly after, Penn called timeout to try and settle down the defense.

The Penn timeout did not slow down the Dartmouth attack as the Big Green took each of the next three shots as well, keeping possession in their offensive zone. The first attempt was saved by Sweeney and the next two attempts each went wide of goal.

On the third attempt that went wide of goal, Dartmouth was awarded a penalty stroke and the Big Green converted that chance when Liz Blanken found the back of the net. Sweeney made a great effort on the stroke, but just could not get enough of the ball to come away with the save. The penalty stroke goal tied the game at two just over 11 minutes into the second half.

Dartmouth would keep the pressure on the Quakers' defense, earning a penalty corner just over three minutes after the second goal, but the Penn defense held the attack without a shot. Two minutes later, Dartmouth would score its third goal on the game, taking the 3-2 lead with just under 20 minutes of play remaining.

After Dartmouth took the lead, Penn would not go away without a fight. After a Big Green timeout, Hasson would get another shot on goal in the 54th minute, but her bid at a second goal would be saved. Penn kept the action on their offensive half of the field and in the 57th minute, Iqbal would take her second shot of the game, but this take also went wide of the frame.

Corcoran kept the play inside of the Dartmouth circle as she would get a pair of shots from close range, but both of her attempts were saved and Penn was unable to tie up the game at three.

Dartmouth took back possession and got the off shot against the Penn defense shortly after, however, Sweeney made the save once again. In the 68th minute, Dartmouth earned a final penalty corner and Sweeney would save the first short corner shot, but the second shot on the possession was lifted past the Quakers' goalkeeper. This goal gave Dartmouth the 4-2 lead and Penn had just over two minutes of game clock to work with.

Penn was unable to get the necessary attacks needed to get back in the game as Dartmouth got one final shot off, but Sweeney's save held the final score of 4-2.

For Penn, Corcoran had a team-high four shots with three on goal. In addition to her goal, Hasson finished with two shots on the day, along with Iqbal. Tahan's only shot of the day was for the second Penn goal of the afternoon. She also had the assist to finish with three points on the day. Sweeney finished the game with seven saves on the day in goal.

The game was definitely a tail of two halves for Penn. The two sides each managed five shots in the first half. Penn also held a 2-1 advantage on penalty corners and on the scoreboard after 35 minutes. In the second half, The Big Green outshot Penn 11-4 and earned all three short corners during that time as they scored three times in the final 35 minutes.

Penn will get back in action next Sunday when UC Davis visits from California. That game will get underway at 10 a.m. at Franklin Field.

Download: Dartmouth box.pdf