Hall of Fame Class III - Biographies

Hall of Fame Class III - Inducted November 11, 2000 Biographies

•Lisa Romig Atkins, C'82
•DeBenneville "Bert" Bell, C'20
•Eliot W. Berry, C'71
•Doris Dannenhirsch/Beshunsky, ED'46, GED'47
•Lawrance A. Brown, W'22
•Barbara L. Cantwell, W'82
•Nathaniel "Nate" J. Cartmell, W'07
•Denis Elton Cochran-Fikes, C'74, WG'79
•Sean P. Colgan, C'77
•Robert L. Cragg, C'75
•Betsy Crothers (Hawthorne), ED'46, GED'48
•Nicky Hitchens, C'89
•Lou Kozloff, C'65, M'69
•Jack McCloskey, ED'48, GED'52
•Josiah C. McCracken, M'01, H'27
•Andrew Muhlstock, W'75
•Jeff Neuman, W'66, WG'67
•Donald M. Norbury, W'60
•Bob Parmacek, W'53
•Stan Pawlak, C'66
•David Pottruck, C'70, WG'72
•Lawson Robertson
•Anne B. Townsend, ED'27

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Lisa Romig Atkins, C'82

Almost 20 years later, Lisa Romig Atkins still holds a place in Penn women's athletics history. Romig had a storied career at Franklin Field, as both a field hockey player and a member of the women's lacrosse team. Her name is still among numerous all-time career records and she was a major part of two of Penn women's lacrosse trips to the AIAW National Championship.

Romig initiated her field hockey career at Penn in the fall of 1978 by setting the record for goals scored in a season (15). In her second year with the Red and Blue field hockey corps, Romig set Penn's goals in a game record when she netted four against Swarthmore on October 12, 1979. She led the team that season in points (24) and goals scored (11) and earned her first Ivy League accolade when she was named first-team All-Ivy. Romig turned some heads when she was named Penn's Athlete of the Week on September 14 and October 29, 1979. Later that year, Romig was named the 1979 Daily Pennsylvania Fall Athlete of the Year.

Romig led the 1980 Quakers with 32 points, a Penn-record that stood for eight seasons, and took her team to a first-round meeting with Delaware at the NCAA Regionals. Penn fell to the Blue Hens, 2-0, but finished the season with an admirable 10-4-1 record, a glimpse of greater things to come. She was again awarded first-team All-Ivy accolades after recording at least one goal in 10-straight games.

In 1981, Penn captured its first Ivy League championship since official play began in 1979, with a 5-1 mark in the Ancient Eight, finishing in a first-place tie with Princeton. Romig capped off her collegiate field hockey career with a Penn-record 101 points and a program-record 45 goals in her four-year stint with the Quakers. She recorded 15 points as a senior co-captain and was awarded Co-Most Valuable Player honors, along with her friend and teammate, Nancy Lock. Romig rounded out her playing career with a 28-20-8 overall record and three first-team All-Ivy League accolades.

Romig began her collegiate career with the Penn women's lacrosse team with two goals against Lafayette on March 28, 1979. She went on to earn a varsity letter as a freshman after competing in every contest and hearing her name on the loud speaker after scoring a goal in nine games in her rookie season. Romig finished her first year in the Red and Blue with 14 goals and eight assists, laying the groundwork for an exciting lacrosse career at Penn.

The Quakers went out and won themselves the first official Ivy League women's lacrosse championship, tying Yale with identical 4-0-2 records in 1980. Romig, who was named second-team All-Ivy League in her second season with Penn, recorded 28 goals and 17 assists to help the Quakers to an overall record of 12-3-2 and a third place finish at the AIAW National Championship. Romig recorded a season-high five goals in Penn's 23-2 thrashing of Brown on April 5, 1980 to push the Quakers to 2-0 in the Ivy standings.

Romig recorded an Ivy League-record nine goals against Dartmouth in her junior lacrosse season in 1981, a record that still stands today. She was named second-team All-Ivy League after recording 30 goals and 18 assists for 48 points and helped her team score 166 goals over 13 games, the most goals ever scored in a season at Penn.

As a senior, and in the final collegiate season of her career, Romig was at her best. She helped lead Penn to a share of the Ivy League Championship (5-1) and to a fourth place finish in the AIAW National Championship tournament with an 11-4-1 overall record. She was named to the All-America First Team, AIAW All-Tournament team and first-team All-Ivy League. She was honored as Penn's Most Valuable Player and with the Julie Staver Award for the best two-sport athlete (field hockey and lacrosse), along with Lock. Romig was second on the team in scoring with 32 goals and 18 assists for 50 points, which included a five-goal, three-assist game against West Chester on May 14, 1982, in the first game of the AIAW national tournament.

Romig finished her Penn lacrosse career with 165 points on 104 goals and 61 assists. She is fourth on the Penn list for career goals and is second in career assists. Romig's 165 career points are second all-time in the Quakers' women's lacrosse program. During her tenure with the team, Penn recorded an overall mark of 42-13-3 and an Ivy record of 14-2-2, with two Ivy Championships and one second-place finish.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

DeBenneville "Bert" Bell, C'20

Bert Bell used the wins and losses he experienced as a football player at Franklin Field as life long learning tools on a daily basis, during college and for many years after.

DeBenneville "Bert" Bell served as the quarterback for the Pennsylvania football team from 1915-19. In 1916, he helped Penn to a 7-6-1 record and its first and only appearance at the Rose Bowl. Under first-year head coach Bob Folwell, the Quakers lost to Oregon, 14-0, on January 1, 1917. A four-year letterman for the Red and Blue, Bell captained the team in 1919 to a 6-2-1 record, which included an 89-0 win over Delaware on October 11.

After graduation, Bell could not get the game of football out of his blood. He served as an assistant coach at Penn, then at Temple and then again at Penn, under legendary coach John Heisman. Bell wasn't satisfied with collegiate football though. After being cut off from his wealthy aristocrat father, Bell married a Ziegfeld Follies star, borrowed $2,500 from her and, along with two others, bought the Frankford Yellowjackets of the National Football League. Bell renamed the team, the Philadelphia Eagles, and moved them to Center City, where they played at Memorial Field and Franklin Field. After several losing seasons, and poor attendance at the contests, Bell came up with the idea of a draft for top-ranked players coming out of college.

"Bert's bitter experience down in the league cellar was what led to the NFL draft, in which the worst teams got to choose the best players out of college. What Bert realized down there at the bottom was that unless the poorer teams survived, the league itself wouldn't, and the only way for the poorer teams to make it was to give them a chance to equalize the talent." - An excerpt from Upton Bell's article titled "Any Given Sunday," published in Philadelphia Magazine, September 2000.

Bell's inordinate sense of the game, stemming from participating as player, spectator, coach and owner, propelled him into the commissioner's position of the NFL in 1946. At that time, the NFL was in a bitter battle with the All-American Conference and there was little money being made at the gates of professional football organizations. Bell took on those problems with gusto, merging the two warring conferences, inventing sudden-death overtime and televising night games, and with those innovations, became the first person inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1963.

During his tenure as NFL Commissioner from 1946-59, Bell raised his players' salaries, increased game attendance by 100 percent, established far-sighted television policies and enforced strict anti-gambling codes. He had a profound impact upon professional football, transforming the NFL from a fledgling league into the premier organization it is today.

Bert Bell, at 65 years of age, died in the place that first gave him so much pleasure, Franklin Field. He was there watching a game between his two former teams, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers on October 11, 1959. The famed legend of professional football was missed dearly by everyone involved at one point or another with the sport, and is remembered ever since by what he gave to the game every day of his life - his heart.

"The modern football icon is Vince Lombardi, the great Packers coach for whom winning wasn't everything, it was the only thing. But Bert's lessons were different, and to my mind, more fundamental, and more truly American. He was a tough man, a fighter, a competitor to his toes. But he knew that losing was as much a part of life as winning; in the early days, his beloved Eagles regularly finished at the bottom. He had an innate feel for the underdog, and an understanding that for the enterprise to flourish, the weak had to be protected, and the field had to be level. Everyone had to have a shot." - Upton Bell

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Eliot W. Berry, C'71

Having the rare distinction of being one of Penn's most prominent three-sport athletes, Eliot Berry earned eight varsity letters in football, squash and tennis during his three years of undergraduate varsity eligibility. A two-time All-Ivy League and All-American honoree in squash, he compiled a 54-2 career intercollegiate squash record over four years. As a place-kicker in football, he earned All-Ivy and All-State honors in 1968 and finished his football career at Penn with 27 field goals and 141 total points. On the tennis courts, Berry compiled a 15-2 career singles record and helped lead his team to the 1970 Ivy League and Eastern Intercollegiate Tennis (EITA) Championships.

In 1967, Berry scored 10 points kicking in Penn's 75-0 rout of Delaware Valley College and finished with 27 points as a member of the freshman football team. In the winter, Berry was found on the squash courts, battling out an 11-0 record for the freshman squash team. On the tennis courts that spring, Berry did not disappoint, leading the freshman team to a 5-2 overall record.

Berry earned his first three varsity letters in 1968. As a sophomore, Berry led the football team in scoring with 49 points, hitting 11-for-19 in field goal attempts and nailing 16-of-18 PATs with quarterback Bernie Zbreznj holding. Berry's kicks were the winning margin in four of the team's seven victories, including the Homecoming 1968 victory over Princeton when Berry kicked a career-long field goal of 39 yards with no time remaining in the game. On the squash courts, Berry had an 8-1 mark and helped lead Coach Al Molloy's Quakers to the Ivy League title. Berry continued his impressive sophomore campaign on the tennis courts, finishing the season at 9-1 in singles and 4-2 in doubles with partner, William Powell.

In 1969, Berry again led the Penn fooball team in scoring with five field goals and 11 extra points. He ended his junior year of football, kicking two PATs in front of 50,357 fans at Franklin Field in Penn's 28-14 loss to Ed Marinaro's Cornell Big Red. Berry went undefeated (10-0) in squash, earning himself All-Ivy League and All-American honors. As a junior in 1970, Berry helped Hugh Curry and John Adams lead Penn Tennis to the Ivy League/EITA Championship. Berry earned his sixth consecutive varsity letter and went 7-2 in singles play.

In his final season on the gridiron for Penn, Berry finished second in scoring to halfback Bobby Hoffman. With Quaker quarterback Pancho Micir holding, Berry banged in six field goals, including a 38-yarder against Lehigh in a 24-0 Quaker victory and a 37-yarder against Princeton in a 22-16 loss.

As a senior on the squash courts, Berry went out in style. He recorded a 9-1 record and, along with Palmer Page, led Molloy's Quakers to the National Championship after finishing second in the Ivy League. Berry was runner-up in the National Intercollegiate Squash Championships and earned All-Ivy League and All-American honors.

Berry skipped his senior season of tennis and spent the spring of 1971 preparing to tryout for the NFL's Pittsburgh Steelers. Berry out-legged 50 other kicking hopefuls at Three Rivers Stadium. Though he never played in a professional football game, after Pittsburgh, he was also signed by Coach Norm Van Brocklin of the Atlanta Falcons and later wrote a novel loosely based on his experiences, titled "Four Quarters Make A Season."

His squash career also continued after college, as Berry was ranked four times in the U.S. Men's Top 10 in hard ball squash, including twice while an undergraduate at Penn. Playing international squash, Berry was a semifinalist at the 1975 French Open and the 1976 Monte Carlo Open. He also played the No. 1 position for the U.S. team at the 1977 World Championships.

Years later, reprising a love for tennis which saw Berry as the New York State Boys 16-and-under Singles and Doubles Champion in 1965, Berry wrote two books, "Tough Draw" (1992) and "Topspin" (1996), which were about the world of professional tennis and what makes some players win and others come in second.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Doris Dannenhirsch/Beshunsky, ED'46, GED'47

Doris Dannenhirsch began her competitive swimming career in Rhode Island, capturing titles in the 50 and 100 freestyle and also the 100 breaststroke at the New England Junior and Senior Swimming Championships. In 1935, she traveled to Israel, and then to Palestine, as part of the second Maccabiah Olympic Team.

From 1939-42, Dannenhirsh and three of her teammates comprised the "Formation Swimmers." They delighted thousands of viewers attending Sportsmen Shows in cities like Boston, Providence, Cleveland, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with their water ballet presentation. This group was known as one of the pioneers and forerunners in what today is known as Synchronized Swimming, now an Olympic sport.

Shortly after arriving at the University of Pennsylvania in 1943, she formed one of the nation's first synchronized swimming clubs, the Pennguinettes, in 1946. Dannenhirsch graduated from Penn with a bachelor's degree in physical education in 1947 and stayed on at the University to earn her Master's degree in education and to coach swimming. From 1947-54, her teaching career spanned the field of aquatics. She coached the varsity and junior varsity swimming teams at Penn while also teaching courses in swimming techniques to the physical education majors. The Pennguinettes went from a merry band of eight participants at its infancy to a hearty 51 student-athletes by the 1950s. In 1950, Dannenhirsch was selected to serve as the guest speaker at the "Synchronized Swimposium" held at Brooklyn College. She spoke on the approach to synchronized swimming at Penn and the teaching of the progression of skills. After her talk, Dannenhirsch directed a clinic on synchronized swimming skills.

In 1955, the Pennguinettes helped found the Association for Synchronized Swimming for college women. The Penn group was a charter member of this organization and took part in many of its conferences. Dannenhirsch remained with the University as the director of the Pennguinettes until her retirement in 1977. Throughout those years, she put together 25 consecutive water shows, with shows taking place both on and off campus. Dannenhirsch also served as a member of the Academy of Aquatic Art, secretary of the Executive Examining Committee and as a judge and referee for swimming and diving competitions.

From 1982-83, she sat on the University of Pennsylvania Athletic Advisory Council and the National Board of the United States Committee for Sports for Israel. In recognition of her extraordinary service, achievement and contribution through aquatics, Dannenhirsch was inducted into the Rhode Island Aquatic Hall of Fame in 1982 and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Swimming Hall of Fame in 1984. She was also inducted into the Rhode Island Jewish Hall of Fame as its first female member in 1975. Following this honor, she was inducted into the Philadelphia Jewish Sports Hall of Fame in 1998.

During her career, Dannenhirsch collected nearly 500 swimming/aquatic-related cartoons and in 1994, her collection was donated to the International Swimming Hall of Fame in Ft. Lauderdale.

"Each Pennguinette group was responsible for their own choreography, making their own costumes, props and stage sets as well as directing many of their own compositions. A great deal of time, planning and effort went into each production. Besides all the hard work, it was really fun. Sometimes things didn't go as planned and we had some riotous errors. It's really a very difficult skill to master; it is the interrelationship of the arts and athletic prowess that is unique, unusual and at the same time, the added bonus is that it is relaxing and provides excellent exercise, all the while enjoying the music!" - Doris Dannenhirsch/Beshunsky.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Lawrance A. Brown, W'22

"Larry" Brown headed to Philadelphia from Seattle as a ranked tennis player. But after a brief stint on the men's freshman tennis team at Penn, he headed out to the track and began his running career with gusto under the tutelage of fellow Hall of Fame inductee Lawson Robertson, who insisted that Brown concentrate solely on his track endeavors.

The Penn track program has always been one of heralded accomplishment, and for the Class of 1922, it was no different. Brown's class of runners was like none other at that time, as each year it made bigger strides toward greatness in the track world.

Brown captained the freshman team in 1918, making a name for himself early and often. In 1919, Brown's sophomore campaign was one of the greatest in Penn track history. In the indoor season, his mile relay team won three consecutive championships at the Millrose, the New York Athletic Club and the Johns Hopkins Games. Brown came in a close second at the National Junior Championships in the 1000-yard run and the Quakers took second place overall. The outdoor season proved to be even more successful. The Penn Relay Carnival was in full swing and Brown and his Red and Blue teammates won the sprint medley relay and the mile relay. Penn won the Intercollegiates that year in a hotly contested meet, as the Quakers were not sure of their championship until after the final event. Brown represented Penn well by taking second in the mile and a finishing fifth in the half-mile.

The fall of 1920 found most of the squad back and success seemed imminent. The indoor season was productive from the start as Brown's mile relay team won four consecutive meets and broke the record for that distance at the University of Illinois games. Brown opened the outdoor season by winning the mile race against Harvard to help Penn to a 69.3-47.7 win. The Quakers went on to win the sprint medley relay at the 1921 Penn Relays, while also taking second in the mile relay and finishing third in the distance medley relay and the two-mile relay, with both of the latter being led by Brown.

The spring of 1921 continued with three dual meets against Dartmouth, Columbia and Cornell. Brown led the Quakers in their wins over Dartmouth and Columbia. Unfortunately, Penn did not repeat its Intercollegiate performance of the previous year and could only muster a fourth-place finish as Brown finished second in the mile.

Despite its lack of an outstanding performance at the Intercollegiates, Brown and other members of his team placed themselves in pretty important company. Representing the Benjamin Franklin Post of the American Legion called the University Post, Brown ran in a special mile-relay event in the American Legion Meet at Franklin Field on June 8, and broke the world record in the mile. He then turned around and broke the world record in the 1,000-yard run, an uncommon event, but none-the-less, a recognized record-holder.

Brown was elected captain of the 1921-22 Penn track team and looked to finish his collegiate career on top. After breaking world records the previous summer though, a little let down was felt in the beginning of the indoor season. Brown ran anchor on the mile relay team that won the championship at the Brooklyn College games, and the night following took a third-place finish at the Millrose Games. Brown came in third at Millrose in the 2/3-mile run. But the Quakers rebounded at the University of Illinois Relay Championships where Brown led the team to the collegiate indoor record in the two-mile relay. The team repeated its good work at the Indoor Intercollegiates when it broke the World Record in the same event and Penn finished third overall.

The spring of 1922 was a whole different story. Brown led the Quakers into the annual Penn Relay Carnival at Franklin Field and led them out with another World Record, this time in the two-mile relay, with a time of 7:49.40. Brown went on to capture the IC4A Championship in the 880 and finished second in the event at the NCAAs. That year, Brown was among the top 10 fastest half-milers in the world.

Brown continued his track career when he was invited to participate at the 1924 Olympic Games in Paris as part of the 4x400 relay team. Later on, Brown posed for the sculptor, R. Tait McKenzie, when he was rendering the new Relay Carnival medal. Brown now joins two other athletes on that sculpture in the Penn Athletic Hall of Fame, George Orton and Ted Meredith. Brown also continued his tennis career until the ripe age of 89.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Barbara L. Cantwell, W'82

Barbara Cantwell spent three years as a Penn gymnast, capturing numerous Ivy League and regional Championship titles, under the direction of her coach, and sister, Janet Cantwell. Barbara spent her freshman year at Oklahoma State University on a full athletic scholarship, transferring to Penn after Janet encouraged her to return home to Philadelphia and join the Quaker team.

Cantwell proved very quickly that Penn was for her. In her first season as a Quaker, and only the second full season of competition for Penn in the Ivy League, Cantwell won the all-around, balance beam, uneven bars and floor exercise at the Ivy League Championships in 1980. She competed at the Pennsylvania Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (PAIAW) Championships and earned first place in the all-around. She then went to the next level and finished fifth at the Eastern Regionals (EAIAW) in the all-around, which included a fourth-place finish on the uneven bars and a third-place finish on the floor. Cantwell's standing at the Eastern's earned her a trip to the AIAW National Championships, where she placed 11th in the all-around. Cantwell's exploits earned her Daily Pennsylvanian Winter Sport Athlete of the Year, Penn's Most Valuable Gymnast and the PAIAW and Whelan & Whelan Jr. Sports Award honoree.

How does one follow an act that earned such prestigious awards in what was technically her rookie season at Penn? How about defending her Ivy League all-around title, winning the PAIAW all-around and the EAIAW all-around? Cantwell did just that as a junior in 1981, while serving as a captain for the Quakers. She was named to the EAIAW All-Region team after leading the Quakers to their first undefeated regular season in program history (8-0). Cantwell was named Penn's Most Valuable Gymnast, an All-Eastern All-Star team member and was a PAIAW Whelan & Whelan Jr. Sports Award honoree.

Cantwell went on to claim even more fame in the gymnastics world as a senior. She was voted a team co-captain, won her third consecutive Ivy League all-around title and third straight PAIAW all-around championship. After a third-place finish at the Easterns, Cantwell went on to represent the University of Pennsylvania at the AIAW National Championships, where she finished fourth in the all-around and second on the balance beam. For her outstanding efforts, she was named All-America. Penn's most heralded gymnast was named the Harnwell Award winner and the Father's Trophy Award winner in 1982 and was named to the Ivy League Silver Anniversary Honor Roll for Gymnastics by her peers in 1998.

"It was a very unique time for Pennsylvania gymnastics. The team was still new and it took me some time to adjust to the environment of the workout facility and the caliber of gymnasts when I transferred to Penn . Two of my favorite memories are when I won my second of three Ivy League Championships when Penn hosted the Ivy Championships in The Palestra and many of my family and friends were there to see me defend my title. The other fond memory is when I won the Gaylord P. Harnwell Award. I felt extremely honored to have been given an award linked to such a prestigious figure in Penn's history. It also meant so much to me because it was an honor that my fellow students elected me to win, even though I spent a lot less time with the students than most of the other honorees because I was always training for gymnastics." - Barbara Cantwell

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Nathaniel "Nate" J. Cartmell, W'07

Nate Cartmell was one of the most heralded track athletes of the early 1900s for the University of Pennsylvania and when teammed with legendary coach and Hall of Fame member Mike Murphy, the duo was an unstoppable pair.

Cartmell first ran for the Red and Blue in the fall games of 1903 as a freshman, finishing second to Dick Dear, a Washington, DC native, who had met Cartmell at southern Interscholastic meets and influenced him to come to Pennsylvania. Dr. J. K. Shell, himself a noted athlete, was the head coach of the University's track team that year.

For the first time in the history of the Intercollegiates, they were taken away from New York City's Berkely Oval, and Franklin Field was selected for the spring meet of 1904. Murphy was at Yale that season and brought his team to Philadelphia to compete. Among his athletes was Torrey, a fine 100-yard dash man who was picked to have an even chance of winning the 100 over Schick of Harvard, who was the favorite to win the event. But they did not count in the athletic abilities of Penn freshman Cartmell, who was selected in the same preliminary heat as Torrey. The athletes dressed in an improvised shed on the South Side of the field, and those not then in competition, together with some of the coaching contingent, went to the unfinished walls of Weightman Hall to watch the race. Murphy was among those spectators, and naturally had all eyes on Torrey. The race began and down the lane they ran. Torrey flashed ahead but Cartmell was always abreast, and in a driving finish, forged two feet ahead. Coaches are not allowed near the finish and Murphy, from his position, could not see who won.

As Cartmell ran across to the dressing shed for his sweater following the race, Murphy yelled down to the freshman. "Who won? Torrey?" And Nate, naturally elated at his feat of knocking out a favorite, yelled back, "No, Sir. I did." Thus began the relationship between the great coach and his protégé.

Cartmell went on to finish second in the 100 and the 220 at the IC4As in 1904 and was selected to compete for the United States Olympic team. The rookie held his own, winning two bronze medals in his first International competition, one in the 100 and one in the 200.

After taking a year away from Penn, Cartmell returned in 1905 and Murphy came as the head track coach that same year. For three straight seasons, Cartmell and Penn proved triumphant in their track endeavors. In 1906, the Intercollegiates were held at Harvard and Penn finished second overall, while Cartmell placed first in the 100 and first in the 220. The following year, Cartmell again came away victorious in both events at the Championships and the University of Pennsylvania won the Intercollegiate Track Championship held in Cambridge.

For Cartmell's final season as a collegiate runner, he did not disappoint as captain of the Penn track team. The 1908 Intercollegiates were held at Franklin Field, and although Penn finished second behind Cornell, Cartmell earned a three-peat in both the 100 and 220-dash events. Penn's prolific sprinter went on to compete in the 1908 Olympics and won a gold medal as part of the sprint medley relay team. He also won a bronze medal for the U.S. in the 200 and recorded a fourth-place finish in the 100.

A storied track career followed Nate Cartmell through his days at Pennsylvania, and he continued his climb of track prominence after graduation. As one of only five American males to win at least three Olympic medals in the dashes, Cartmell went to compete overseas in 1909. After a loss to Bobby Kerr of Canada in the Olympic Games of 1908, Cartmell had unfinished business when he heard Kerr was again running in 1909. On a curved course, Cartmell proved the mettle that coach Mike Murphy had instilled in him, and easily defeated the Canadian and set the fastest amateur time in England in the process.

Cartmell went on to compete in what was called the Professional Championship of the World in the 220. The race was held on December 18, 1909 at Stoke-on-Kent, with the eyes of the British Empire set on the event. Cartmell won the race and title by a margin of four yards in the time of 21.5 seconds. Cartmell went on to a successful coaching career at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

"Nate Cartmell is still a renowned track entity in that he is only one of five athletes to win three medals in the sprint events. He was one of a kind in his time and was one of the leaders to bring Penn track to the forefront in the early 1900s." - Dave Johnson, Penn Relay Carnival Director

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Denis Elton Cochran-Fikes, C'74, WG'79

Denis Fikes took the collegiate track and field and cross country world by storm in his very first year with the Quakers in 1970. And after four consecutive years of the same intensity and Penn pride, Fikes finished his track career at Penn with several championships, numerous accolades and plenty of records. His love of the sport, and collegiate athletics in general, propelled him into various coaching positions and his current administrative duty in the University of Pennsylvania's athletic department.

Fikes began his collegiate career with a Philadelphia Big 5 Freshman Cross Country Championship in 1970. He also finished fifth in the freshman race at the IC4A Cross Country Championship with a time of 14:42.0. During his first track season, Fikes set school records in the mile (4:03.9 in King Games Dream Mile) and steeple chase (8:51.6 at AAUs).

His second year with the Quakers was equally impressive, as Fikes led the Penn team to the 1971 Heptagonal Cross Country Championship and a sixth-place individual finish (24:53). He was the top Penn finisher, along with Dave Merrick, with a seventh-place finish at the IC4As. The Quakers competed at the NCAA Championships that season as well, and finished third as a team, Penn's best placing ever. Fikes finished 75th overall with a time of 31:12. The indoor track season saw Fikes earn two Heptagonal Championships, one in the 1,000-meter run (2:11.7) and one as the anchor of the two-mile relay squad. At the IC4As, Fikes was a part of the school-record setting distance medley relay team and set an individual Penn-record in the 1,000 with a time of 2:08.9. Outdoors, Fikes won the steeplechase title at Heps in 9:01.0 and ran on the four-mile relay record-setting team.

Fikes' cross country season in 1972 started with a Big 5 co-title at Belmont Plateau with a winning time of 26:05. He then won the Indoor Heps' 1,000-meter championship and anchored the two-mile relay team to the title. Fikes improved upon those accolades with a 4:02.0 mile to win the IC4A championship, which broke the record for the meet, before he finished fifth at the NCAA Championships in the 1000-yard race.

As a senior, Fikes did not disappoint. During the cross country season, he finished third at Princeton (24:35), second at the Big 5 Championships (25:42) and sixth at IC4As (24:30), while also being a part of the 1973 Heps Cross Country Championship team. Indoors, he won the Navy Dual and the Princeton Dual in the 1,000-meter, finished second at the IC4As in the two-mile and finished fourth at the Heps in the 1,000. He then anchored the distance medley relay team (mile) to a second-place finish and recorded the fastest leg ever on an 11-lap NCAA track. Fikes also finished third in the two-mile race at the Indoor NCAA Championships.

But Fikes saved his best for last. In the Spring of 1974, he became the first Penn and Ivy League athlete to break a four-minute mile when he ran a 3:55.0. It was also the best performance by an African-American athlete in the U.S. and was ranked 15th on the all-time world list at the time.

In all, Denis Fikes recorded over 25 school records in the middle distance events from 1,000 meters to three-miles. He won seven Heptagonal titles and one IC4A title. He was a six-time All-Eastern honoree and a two-time All-American. And he wasn't done yet.

After college, Fikes continued the sport he loved with the Philadelphia Pioneers, Marine Corps and Athletic Attic. He represented the U.S. twice during 1976, competing in the USA vs. USSR indoor dual meet and the CISM games (International Military Championships). After his running became hampered by injuries, Fikes took to coaching and administration. He held coaching positions with the Marines and Harvard University, before coming back to Penn in 1986 to be the associate athletic director and now serves as the compliance coordinator for the athletic department.

"Nineteen seventy-one was the first season that freshmen were permitted to compete on varsity teams. One of the new freshmen was Illinois scholastic standout, David Merrick. Merrick would go on to set the course record at NYC's famed Van Cortlandt Park in his last year. Vandy is considered by many to be the "Mecca" of cross country running. It was my sophomore year. Moving up to the varsity with me was a team that went undefeated as freshmen. We joined a mature varsity squad that was hungry for the success that eluded them the year before. We recorded an undefeated regular season. Our first loss came at the hands of Villanova in the Big 5 Championships. Undaunted, we captured the Heptagonal Cross Country Championship, placing seven harriers in the top eight. The second loss of the season came at the IC4A Championships when we again lost a dog fight to Villanova in the mire of the Vandy hills. We closed the season with a third-place finish at the NCAA Championships. Our cross-town rival, Villanova, placed fourth." - Denis Elton Cochran-Fikes

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Sean P. Colgan, C'77

Even before setting foot in a Penn shell, Sean P. Colgan was a rower to be reckoned with. Prior to coming to the University of Pennsylvania, Colgan represented the U.S. in the 1972 and 1973 Junior Olympics and was a four-time Junior National Champion during his days at La Salle Collegiate High School. Not traveling far from home, Colgan remained on the Schuylkill River throughout his collegiate tenure and helped Penn to four years of exciting rowing.

As a freshman in 1974, Colgan led the Penn frosh to a 3-3 overall record and a third place finish at the IRA National Championships. He began his varsity rowing career in 1975, helping the Quakers win the Childs Cup on Lake Carnegie and the Blackwell Cup on the Housatonic River. Penn won the Petite Final at the EARC Sprints that season. The Penn rowing program finished third in the race for the Ten Eyck Award, given to the school with the most overall points at the IRAs.

In Colgan's junior year, the Quakers won three Cup races, taking the Blackwell, Burk and Madeira Cups back to Philadelphia. Penn finished third at the EARC Sprints with a time of 6:12.9, right behind Harvard (6:07.4) and Wisconsin (6:11.1). Colgan then led the Quakers to a third-place finish at the National Championships, rowing a 6:36.8 in the varsity eight race on Lake Onondaga. Penn showed its overall team strength by winning the Ten Eyck Award for overall team supremacy.

Colgan and his comrades saved their best for last. In 1977, the Penn varsity eight boat brought home the gold medal at the annual San Diego Crew Classic on Mission Bay in San Diego, Calif. In a photo finish, the Quakers edged their way over the finish line by the length of a hand to give them their first victory in this West Coast championship. After returning to Philadelphia, the Quakers went on to win their third consecutive Blackwell Cup (with Colgan), the Adams Cup and the Burk Cup. Colgan raced with Penn to a second place finish at the Eastern Sprints with a time of 6:06.0. With that placing, the Penn rowing program won the Rowe Cup, for only the second time in Penn history, with 39 total points after both the junior varsity eight and freshman eight boats won their respective Grand Finals. The Quakers were primed heading into the National Championships and won their heat with a time of 6:39.8. Unfortunately, Cornell, which had defeated Penn in the Madeira Cup the previous week, squeaked out the win in the Grand Final with Penn racing a 6:34.9 and the Big Red finishing in 6:32.4. However the Quakers were again the winners of the Ten Eyck Trophy, as the national championship team, for overall points.

During his collegiate rowing career at Penn, Colgan won a silver medal at the 1975 World Championships with the U.S. lightweight eight and a bronze medal as the stroke and captain of the 1976 World Championship team. After graduating cum laude from the College in 1977, Colgan went on to more international acclaim, winning a gold medal in the heavyweight eight at the 1979 Pan-American Games and a bronze in the 1983 Games in the single scull as team captain. As a member of the 1980 Olympic heavyweight eight team, he won the silver medal at the Olympic equivalent regatta. Colgan also won gold medals at the Royal English Henley, the Dutch national championships and the Egyptian National Championships in 1980. In 1982, he was the national champion in single sculls and was a gold medalist at the 1986 Olympic Festival.

Colgan was the only oarsman in the world to have represented his country in the Junior Olympics, Olympics and World Championships in rowing, both port and starboard, sweep and sculling, and as a lightweight and heavyweight. Colgan was inducted into the U.S. Rowing Hall of Fame in 1990.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Robert L. Cragg, C'75

"Diving is probably the most intrinsically difficult sport, next to golf or gymnastics. It is just one big adjustment. Your are constantly working as hard as you can at all points in time to make it flow, but at the same time, making it look like it's a walk down the street." - Rob Cragg

Rob Cragg began his intercollegiate diving career at the University of Pennsylvania in 1971 under diving coach Paul Flack. As a freshman, the varsity team went 7-6 overall and finished sixth in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming and Diving League championships. Cragg earned the Smith Award for the most points scored by a member of the Penn Swimming and Diving Team, winning 15 events between the one and three-meter diving boards throughout the season. His season high was against North Carolina State on December 9, 1971, where he scored 288.50 points on the one-meter board, beating two nationally-ranked divers from NC State.

As a sophomore in 1972-73, Cragg continued his high-flying escapades in swimming pools up and down the East Coast, soaring to a season-high score of 318.05 on the one-meter against Cornell on December 9, 1972. His three-meter high score of the season came against Navy on February 28, 1973 when he scored 299.00 points as Penn fell to the Midshipmen by three points. After finishing fifth at the Easterns, Cragg competed at the University of Tennessee in the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships, placing 17th on the one-meter springboard. He was named to the All-Ivy team for his acrobatic efforts on the diving boards.

Cragg continued his reign as one of the premier divers on the East Coast as a junior in 1973-74. He won five one-meter competitions with his best performance of the season coming against Lehigh (315.60 points) on February 20, 1974. On the three-meter board, Cragg won four events throughout the season, scoring a season high 311.60 against Cornell on December 8, 1973. He was again named to the All-Ivy team and went on to compete in the NCAA Diving Championships where he was named to the All-American Swimming and Diving Team by finishing sixth on the one-meter springboard and ninth on the three-meter board.

In 1974-75 Cragg's senior season capped his highly successful intercollegiate career with All-Ivy honors for the third year. He was also named the 1975 Irwin Waldman Award winner as Penn's Most Inspirational Athlete. Cragg won both the one and three-meter diving competitions in 11 of the Quakers' 13 meets that season. His best performance on the three-meter board that campaign came against archrival Princeton, as Cragg scored a career-best 337.50 to finish first. Cragg set a career mark on the one-meter board with a score of 344.90 points on February 5, 1975 against Rutgers.

Upon completion of the dual-meet season, Cragg continued his senior year successes by winning the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming and Diving Championship on the one-meter springboard and finishing second on the three-meter board. He then went on to Cleveland State University to compete in the NCAA Diving Championships, finishing fourth on the one-meter board and seventh on the three-meter board. This performance earned a repeat All-American appointment and scored all of Penn's points for this meet. How impressive was this performance? Cragg's cumulative points earned the Quakers' 17th place overall in the team competition. Penn was the highest Ivy League finisher at the NCAA Championship that year, and to this day, ranks as the best team performance Penn has ever achieved in this National Championship. Cragg also went on that year to finish third on the one-meter springboard and fifth on three-meter in the U.S. Diving National Championships.

After college, Cragg continued with his diving. In 1976, he earned a spot on the United States Olympic Team. In Montreal, Canada, Cragg finished in fifth place in the three-meter springboard diving event. He was also a member of the United States National Diving Team until his retirement from the sport in 1980. He continued his love for the sport by serving as the coach of the University of Pennsylvania diving team from 1987 through 1991.

"I always wanted Rob to come back and coach here. He is a Penn graduate and there is nothing like that. He has a great ability to articulate what he wants. Rob is very verbal and he always gets the best out of his divers . . . Overall, he presents the best image of Penn." - former Penn swimming coach Kathy Lawlor.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Betsy Crothers (Hawthorne), ED'46, GED'48

"I put a lot of my heart and soul into my years at the University of Pennsylvania.I spent many years sprinting back and forth to River Field for hockey and tennis. As a freshman in 1942, the team practiced and played our games on the Franklin Field parking lot. It was a mud-baked surface and I left three of my front teeth there as an eager freshman halfback." - Betsy Crothers (Hawthorne)

Betsy Crothers laid an important foundation for today's female student-athletes at the University of Pennsylvania when she was a varsity letterwinner at Penn from 1942-46. Crothers was an active participant in four intercollegiate sports, as well as an integral part of the college community on numerous levels.

As a senior in 1945, Crothers led the Penn field hockey team to its first undefeated season with a 5-0-1 record. Seven players were chosen All-League that season and Crothers was named Who's Who in American Colleges. One of the biggest events that year was the founding of Athlon (the Greek word for Athletics) as an athletic honor society for women at Penn. Crothers was elected as a charter member and she and her fellow hockey teammates were awarded gold hockey sticks to commemorate their championship season. Crothers also held the high honor of being the president of the WAA (Women's Athletic Association) from 1945-46. During her years at Penn, Crothers played a key role in helping basketball, softball, badminton, swimming, hockey, tennis, bowling and lacrosse become varsity sports at Penn. She was also a member of the first class of women to be inhabitants of Weightman Hall, formerly an exclusively male facility. For her work as a true pioneer of women's sports, Crothers was awarded the Father's Trophy Award in 1946.

Honors and accolades abound, Crothers was a true all-star while an undergraduate at Penn. She was a two-time captain of the field hockey, basketball and tennis teams. She was named to the Mid-Atlantic College All-Star Hockey Team for three years and served as its captain in 1944 and 1945. Her basketball exploits earned her consecutive nominations to the Metropolitan All-Star first-team and she was named an All-American in lacrosse for four straight seasons. Off the fields and courts, Crothers was on the Mortar Board, the WAA executive board and was an Athlon charter member.

"Penn sports were always tough because we played many schools with physical education major departments many times larger than ours. Every honor we achieved was won dearly.My Penn memories are among my most precious; the dear and great people of the Penn Women's Athletic Department, including Mrs. Hildegarde Farquhar, Miss Elizabeth Burdick, Dorie Kelman and Dr. Holtel, Dean of Women." - Betsy Crothers (Hawthorne)

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Nicky Hitchens, C'89

Nicky Hitchens put together an impressive collegiate career with both the Penn women's lacrosse and field hockey teams while wearing the Red and Blue. Her numerous accolades were impressive as an undergraduate, and she still holds several Quaker field hockey records today.

Hitchens' tenure at Penn started with a bang, as she earned Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors in field hockey in 1985 and lacrosse in 1986. Hitchens helped the Quakers' field hockey program to an Ivy League Championship in her first campaign, with two goals against Dartmouth on November 2, 1985. Penn finished the season with a 4-0-2 Ivy record and Hitchens earned Penn's Most Valuable Freshman award. Hitchens also earned second-team All-Ivy League honors in lacrosse as Penn finished in a third-place tie in the Ivy League with Brown at 3-3.

As a sophomore, Hitchens picked up right where she left off, earning her first field hockey All-America honor en route to leading the Penn team to an Ivy League Championship, a 10th place national ranking and a meeting with Rutgers in the first round of the 1986 NCAA Field Hockey Championship. Hitchens scored a pair of goals against Rutgers, but Penn fell, 3-2, on strokes. She was named Penn field hockey MVP after leading the Quakers in scoring with 13 points on 10 goals and three assists. Hitchens' most impressive performance of the season came in Penn's 3-2 win over field hockey power Penn State when she scored two goals and added an assist. Hitchens also scored both of Penn's goals in the NCAA game against Rutgers. In lacrosse that season, Penn finished 17th in the nation and Hitchens earned second-team All-Ivy League honors.

After her junior season at Franklin Field, Hitchens was named Penn field hockey MVP for the second-straight time and first-team All-Ivy League for her leadership in Penn's offensive unit. She scored eight goals and had two assists on the year. As a junior on the lacrosse field, Hitchens was named honorable mention All-Ivy League as a defender in 1988.

Hitchens saved her best performances for last as she helped the Penn field hockey team to a No. 4 national ranking and a NCAA Final Four berth in 1988. Hitchens finished her senior year with a Penn-record 35 points, which included a team-record 15 goals. The Quakers won their third Ivy League Championship with Hitchens on the roster, recording a 5-1 mark in league play and a 13-1-1 record heading into postseason competition. Penn won a hard-fought 3-2 victory over Penn State in the first round, a game that took three overtime periods to complete. The Quakers then lost to Old Dominion, 4-0, in the semifinals of the NCAA Field Hockey Championships, which were held at Franklin Field. Hitchens earned Ivy League Player of the Year, All-America, first-team All-Ivy League and Penn MVP honors for the third consecutive year to close out her field hockey career at Penn.

After her outstanding career on Franklin Field for both field hockey and lacrosse, Hitchens represented Penn field hockey on the Ivy League Silver Anniversary honor roll in 1998.

"The feeling I got the first time I walked out on Franklin Field (was my fondest memory of Penn). I knew then that I wanted to come to Penn. I told (Coach Anne) Sage and got a big hug. That is a moment I will never forget. Looking back I am most grateful to have been a part of those Ivy Championship hockey teams and the excitement surrounding our team each time we won a title." - Nicky Hitchens

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Lou Kozloff, C'65, M'69

"First of all (in the 'starting ritual'), I always sit at one end of the pool before I swim. Then I have to get wet in a certain order - right arm, left arm, left leg, right leg, chest, face, back. Then I have to shake hands with Pete Borchardt (another swimmer) before the other guys. Sometimes it's tense. I have to ignore everyone else if they come over first. My mother goes wild. She says, 'Look at that idiot. He's so superstitious.' Then she moves down in the stands to her lucky seat." - Lou Kozloff, from an article in the Pennsylvania Gazette, March 1965.

Lou Kozloff's starting ritual almost never was, as he did not swim in a competitive race until after his freshman year at Penn. In his first meet, the 6-3 part-time freshman basketball player finished first in the 50-yard sprint and second in the 100, and he never turned back.

Kozloff was Penn's shining light at Hutchinson Pool from 1963-65, breaking pool and school records left and right. In his sophomore year, Kozloff earned the Edward Hopkinson, Jr. Award for most inspirational swimmer. As a junior, he again was awarded the Hopkinson Award and was named a captain for the upcoming season after earning his second varsity letter in the pool.

But it was his senior year, 1964-65, that Kozloff will be remembered for most. For it was that season that Penn swimming's radiant light got even brighter. The Quakers competed in 15 meets that season and Kozloff won the 50-yard freestyle event in 13 of those contests and took second place in the other two. He swam the 200 freestyle against Navy and set a Penn and Hutchinson Pool record, while placing first with a time of 1:49.6. Throughout the Ivy League schedule, Kozloff was undefeated in both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle races and he won the 100-yard freestyle in every meet he competed in. He earned a total of 134 individual points, a Penn-record for points in a season, and was awarded the Frank Smith Memorial Award for most points scored. Kozloff won the Captain's Trophy during his junior and senior seasons and was named Most Valuable Swimmer in 1965.

After the regular season was over, Kozloff competed at the Middle Atlantic AAU Championships where he finished first in the 100-yard freestyle and was invited to compete at the Eastern Championships. Kozloff also earned a spot to compete at the NCAA National Swimming Championships in Iowa and was the first Penn swimmer to qualify in three different events in the same year. Later that summer, Kozloff represented the United States in Israel at the Maccabiah Games in the 100 freestyle and earned a bronze medal.

As a collegian at Penn, Kozloff held the Penn, Hutchinson Pool and Penn Pool records in the 50, 100 and 200 freestyle events and was a part of the record-holding freestyle and medley relay teams. His 50-yard free record of 21.7 was the fastest in the country at that time.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Jack McCloskey, ED'48, GED'52

Although Jack McCloskey spent only one year as an intercollegiate athlete for the Quakers, he was a quintessential all-around athlete at the University of Pennsylvania. An All-American in football and a varsity letterwinner in football, basketball and baseball during the 1943-44 season, McCloskey was commissioned to the Navy in 1944 and upon his discharge, signed a contract to play baseball with the Philadelphia Athletics, therefore relinquishing his varsity eligibility.

Someone may have been able to take McCloskey out of Penn, but no one could take Penn out of McCloskey. He finished his studies at the University in 1948 with a degree in education and went on to play professional basketball with the Philadelphia Warriors and with the Eastern Basketball Association. For five years, he was a member of the All-Star team and was one of only two players to earn back-to-back Eastern League MVP honors (1953 and 1954).

McCloskey returned to Penn as the head basketball coach in 1956, with a down team that went 7-19 during his first year, followed by 13-12 and 12-14 seasons, before recording seven-straight winning campaigns, including the program's first Ivy League Championship season in 1965-66. That season would be McCloskey's last as the Penn coach, as the Quakers recorded 19 wins, the most since the 1954-55 season. During his tenure at the helm of the men's basketball team, McCloskey's teams went 87-53 in Ivy competition and won the school's first Philadelphia Big 5 Championship in 1963. McCloskey left Penn with an overall record of 146-105.

Penn's prodigal coach moved on to Wake Forest, where he led the Demon Deacons to a six-year record of 56-50 and turned the program into an ACC contender. McCloskey heard the NBA calling and went to see if some of his black magic would work with the pros. He took over the expansion Portland Trailblazers in 1972-73, and in two seasons, laid much of the groundwork that eventually enabled the Pacific Division team to claim an NBA Championship in 1977. Coaching stints with the Los Angeles Lakers and the Indiana Pacers eventually led McCloskey to the Detroit Pistons as the team's general manager. Continuing his dramatic turnaround of basketball programs in trouble, he led the Pistons to back-to-back World Championships in 1989 and 1990, just nine years after the franchise hit rock bottom with a 16-66 record.

To celebrate its 50th anniversary, the Eastern/Continental Basketball Association named McCloskey to its All-Time Eastern Team. He served on the U.S. Men's Basketball committee and was a part of the Senior Olympic 3-on-3 Champions in 1991. McCloskey stands fourth all-time for wins in a career at Penn with 146.

An excerpt by Bill Conlin from the Philadelphia Daily News on Wednesday, March 2, 1966 reads - "They carried Jack McCloskey off the court with the pummeling, back-slapping joy reserved for champions. McCloskey, the coach, pumped his fist in the air, acknowledging the honor that has eluded him for ten years of almost ... not quite ... should have won it ... frustration at Penn. Penn students in the crowd of 6,031 were bellowing "Drink a Highball" and then the team was back on the court with surgical scissors, doing an antiseptic job of snipping the nets from both baskets. Everything was how it should have been for the Quakers, who won the Ivy title by beating Princeton, 56-48. Well-wishers thronged the steamy room. Flashbulbs punctuated the illegible scrawl of ball point pens recording the night for Red and Blue history."

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Josiah C. McCracken, M'01, H'27

Not too many other Penn athletes boast credentials comparable to Josiah McCracken's. As a two-sport athlete, world record holder, Olympian and All-American, it is evident that this man had something to take pride and joy in. When he graduated in June of 1901, he was reportedly one of the most popular persons ever to graduate. As he received his diploma, "the whole audience rose to their feet and loudly applauded, an ovation never before given in the history of the University." - taken from Mission to Shanghai.

McCracken played football for four years under legendary coach George Woodruff. In 1897, McCracken was a guard on the Pennsylvania football team that won 15 games without a defeat. This was the second-highest scoring team in Penn football history, totaling 443 points and giving up just 20. The Quakers and Wisconsin were considered to be the nation's top two teams that season. Penn blanked 12 of its 15 opponents, including Lehigh, Virginia, Penn State, Brown and Dartmouth, by a combined score of 178-0.

In 1898, McCracken was at guard again for a Penn squad that won 10 straight games. The Quakers also added victories over Carlisle and Cornell to finish the season at 12-1. McCracken's 1899 team finished the season at 8-3-2 overall, defeating the likes of Franklin and Marshall, 48-0, and Penn State, 47-0. McCracken was named a Walter Camp All-American at guard as Penn defeated Michigan and Virginia also that season.

In 1900, as a fullback, McCracken played an important part in Penn's 12 victories, with Harvard being the only team to defeat the Red and Blue that year, 17-5, on November 3, 1900. McCracken finished his football career with an overall record of 47-5-2.

According to Dr. Wharton, one of the greatest players of the past, and a former assistant coach of the Quakers, "McCracken came from Kansas a big rawboned westerner. He was 6-2, weighed 190 pounds and was one of the finest physical specimens at the University of Pennsylvania at the time. He was agile, active and quick, and according to the experts at the time, was one of the remarkable football players of that era. He was considered by the experts as being on par with the great T. Truxton Hare, C'01" (who is a member of the Penn Athletic Hall of Fame).

McCracken's success in the fall on the gridiron went hand-in-hand with the success he found in the spring on the throwing fields.

As the University of Pennsylvania's only world record holder in the throws, McCracken was not to be taken lightly out on the field. He set the world record in the hammer throw as a sophomore in 1898 with a toss of 153 feet, eight inches. He also earned the 1898 IC4A title in the hammer throw and broke the old record in that event with a throw of 149 feet, five inches. During that same meet, McCracken broke another IC4A mark and recorded another IC4A Championship in the shot put with a record-throw of 43 feet, eight and one-half inches. McCracken was named an All-American for his accomplishments.

And he wasn't through yet. As a junior in 1899, McCracken won both the shot put and hammer throw championships at the IC4As, was named an All-American in both events and served as the captain of the University of Pennsylvania track team.

In 1900, McCracken took his show on the road and competed at the Olympic Games for the United States in Paris. There, he won a silver medal in the shot put and followed that with a bronze medal in the hammer throw, which etched his name into Olympic history forever.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Andrew Muhlstock, W'75

The "Andrew Muhlstock Most Valuable Pitcher Award," given by the University of Pennsylvania baseball team on an annual basis, was duly named for one of the Quakers' most cunning pitchers. Andrew Muhlstock was a three-year letterwinner for the Penn baseball team. He earned numerous accolades during each season he was on the mound and finished his Quaker career with a 29-5 overall record.

In 1973, the Penn sophomore recorded a 9-2 mark from the mound for the Quakers and was named the Walter O'Malley Most Valuable Player. Muhlstock finished his first season as the Ivy League/Eastern Intercollegiate Baseball League (EIBL) pitching leader, recording a 6-1 mark in league play for second place. He was named second-team All-Ivy League and All-EIBL and was honored with All-District 2 All-Star accolades. Muhlstock was instrumental in Penn's best season (19-12-1) since 1931, as he fanned 77 batters, picked up two saves and recorded a 1.69 ERA. He also led the Quakers in batting, hitting .344 with 31 hits, including two doubles.

The 1974 season saw the Quakers improve again, posting a 23-5-1 overall record and a second-place finish in the EIBL. Muhlstock was again a force to reckon with, going 10-1 from the pitcher's mound and striking out 64 batters en route to a 2.19 ERA. He also had one save on the way to All-Ivy League/EIBL first-team honors.

All his hard work culminated in an outstanding senior year. In 1975, he led the Quakers to their first Ivy League/EIBL Championship since 1943 with a 10-2 overall record and a league-leading 5-0 mark. He struck out 79 batters and recorded a 2.05 ERA. The Quakers earned the automatic bid to the NCAA Baseball Championship (District II) and, despite eight strong innings by Muhlstock, fell to Seton Hall, 7-5, in their first-round matchup. He was honored that season with first-team All-Ivy League and All-EIBL accolades and was named the Quakers' most outstanding pitcher.

Muhlstock still owns two of the top five records for strikeouts in a season dating back to when he fanned 79 batters in 1975 and 77 in 1973. He is third all-time for wins in a season with 10 victories in both 1974 and 1975. He was also named Academic All-American in 1975.

Upon graduating from Penn, Muhlstock went on to play four years of minor league baseball with the San Francisco Giants and the Chicago Cubs and played AAA baseball in his last season. In 1977, he was named to the All-Star team for the Texas League (AA). Muhlstock's post-college honors include being inducted into the Penn Baseball Hall of Fame, the Teaneck High School Athletics Hall of Fame, the Bergen County (NJ) Baseball Association Hall of Fame and the North Jersey Metropolitan Baseball League Hall of Fame.

While at Penn, Muhlstock was also a four-year starter on the junior varsity basketball team, captaining the team from 1973-75. In his final season with the Penn baseball program, the Quakers created the Andrew Muhlstock Most Valuable Pitcher Award, which subsequently was given to Muhlstock for his outstanding work on the mound that season.

"Andy Muhlstock was, without a doubt, the smartest pitcher we ever had. He never gave anyone anything to hit. He was a good student in the classroom and a good student on the mound. He had a lot of athleticism that he took to the mound every season. He also swung the bat very well. He was a winner. The teams that he played on were very strong and he was instrumental in helping us win the Ivy League and EIBL Championship in 1975." - Bob Seddon, head baseball coach, 1970-present.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Jeff Neuman, W'66, WG'67

In the late 1960s, Jeff Neuman was as synonymous with Stan Pawlak, as peanut butter is to jelly. The duo led the Quakers to its first-ever official Ivy League Championship in 1965-66, a year that no Penn basketball fan is certain to forget. For it was that season, Penn's first season of Ivy fame, that the Ivy League boycotted the NCAA Basketball tournament on academic standard principles.

Neuman was the Quakers' second-leading scorer in 1965-66, averaging 18.8 points per game. He recorded a season-high 12 free throws against Columbia on Feb. 18, 1966 and finished his senior campaign with first-team All-Ivy League and first-team All-Big 5 accolades. Neuman picked up Jewish All-America and UPI honorable mention All-America honors, as well as being named the Arthur Kiefaber Most Valuable Player for Penn.

During his tenure on The Palestra hardwood, Neuman led the Quakers from the free throw line for three consecutive seasons and was ranked seventh in the nation in free throw accuracy with an 86.6 percentage in his senior campaign. Neuman was also a part of the 1966 team's No. 7 NCAA ranking in scoring defense (62.7). He was a three-time, first-team All-Ivy League honoree and a two-year member of the Philadelphia Big 5 first team. Neuman graduated with 1,187 career points, which is currently 19th on the all-time Penn list.

The Penn guard was selected in the sixth round of the National Basketball Association draft in 1966 by the Baltimore Bullets. Neuman was inducted into the Philadelphia Big 5 Hall of Fame in 1984 and was a second-team selection to the Ivy League 25th Anniversary Basketball Team.

"Although he was from Altoona, Jeff had all the qualifications of a Philadelphia guard - intelligence, the ability to find the open man and a complete awareness of the game. Calling him a Philadelphia guard is the extreme compliment and he is well deserving." - Bob Vetrone, La Salle University, Philadelphia Big 5

"Jeff was a point guard who was ahead of his time. The things he did in 1966 are the things NBA and college coaches absolutely look for in their lead guard today. He played with a flair. I had the ability to get open, and I could depend on getting the ball in the right place, exactly when I wanted it, every time. His quickness was superb and he wanted to win. There was never a doubt about him being able to take care of the ball and his foul shooting in the clutch won us many games." - Stan Pawlak, C'66

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Donald M. Norbury, W'60

Known for his steadfast accuracy and ability to concentrate only on the ball during matches, Donald Norbury typified the kind of golfer every person who has tried his hand at the game wants to be. Norbury was Penn's shining star during his junior and senior seasons on the links for the Red and Blue under legendary golf coach Bob Hays (himself a Penn Athletic Hall of Fame member) and still stands as the only Quaker to win back-to-back Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Championships.

Norbury's stardom began as a junior when he won the James E. (Sonny) Frasier Memorial Tournament at the Atlantic City Country Club, not only taking the medal with a 69, but winning the final as well. Norbury led the Quakers to their first win over Penn State in 19 years, finishing with a two-under par 67, a feat no Penn team had done in nearly 20 years. Norbury only lost one match that season, prior to trying his hand at the Eastern Championships played at Springdale Golf Club at Princeton. During that tournament, he reigned supreme by defeating the defending champion, Penn State's Bill Davidson, in the first round on the 21st hole and then breezing through the rest of the field. He defeated Georgetown's Mark Stuart, Yale's Al Gilison and then Yale's Michael Phillips to become only the second Pennsylvanian to win the title.

"The two matches I played against Norbury were the best I've ever played in. He's a fine competitor and a great golfer," said Davidson, Norbury's first-round opponent.

"Donald gave one of the finest exhibitions of 'pressure' golf I have ever seen. He was just terrific," raved a proud Coach Hays.

Following that season, Norbury was named second-team All-American and was honored with the Maurice Larkin Trophy, presented to the lowest Penn qualifier in the EIGC. The Quakers went undefeated with a 14-0 overall record in 1959 and finished the season third in the Ivy League and fourth at the EIGC. But Penn and Norbury were not finished yet.

Norbury continued to bury his opponents on the greens, even going so far as to equip himself with a specially-made driver that was 46-inches long, which gave him up to 25 more yards per tee shot. He again won the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Championship in 1960, becoming the first player to record back-to-back championships in the tournament's 29-year history. He also became the only golfer to win at match play and then at medal play. In medal play in the tournament as a senior, Norbury stroked a 71-69=140, winning the qualifying medal, and then scored a 69-72=141, winning the tournament by four strokes. For the four rounds, he was 11 strokes better than the next player and was the only golfer to ever win the qualifying medal score and then go on to win the tournament, where he finished seven under par.

Penn's prolific golfer finished his collegiate career with a 41-4 record over three years. He played all 45 matches at the No. 1 spot for the Quakers and co-captained the team during his junior and senior seasons. As a senior, Norbury tied the previous record of 13 consecutive wins in a single season and again was awarded the Maurice Larkin Trophy. In 1960, Norbury was named first-team All-American among some recognizable company. Dean Beman (1959 British Amateur Champion), Jack Nicklaus (USGA National Amateur Champion), Dick Crawford (1959 NCAA Champion), Jack Cupit (1959 NCAA co-medalist) and John Konsek (Three-time Big 10 Champion). He was a member of the All-East golf team and competed in the East vs. West golf matches and finished his intercollegiate golf career with a scoring average of 71.2 for 55 rounds of golf. The Quakers won the 1960 Ivy League golf championship and finished the season with a 15-2 overall record.

Norbury was not present at graduation exercises in May of 1960, as he was en route to Colorado Springs, Colo. to compete in the National Collegiate Golf tournament. He earned his bachelor's of science degree from the Wharton School in economics, was an active member in the Penn Glee Club and was selected to the Friars Senior Society for his outstanding contributions in extracurricular activities.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Bob Parmacek, W'53

Bob Parmacek's illustrious fencing career began in 1950 and in four years of intercollegiate competition, he helped the Quakers established themselves as one of the premier fencing teams in the country.

As a freshman in 1950, Parmacek led the freshman fencing squad to a 13-2 overall record, where he competed in the foil. In 1951, as a member of the varsity fencing team, Parmacek helped the Quakers to a 24-10 record as Penn won the Eastern Intercollegiate Team Sabre Championship and finished second at the NCAA Fencing Championships. It was the first time since 1925 that Penn's fencing team placed anywhere in any event at the NCAAs. Parmacek finished second at the Eastern's in the sabre and he was named captain for the following year by his teammates.

In his junior year, Parmacek stepped up the pace for the Penn fencing program. Under the watchful eye of legendary coach Maestro Lajos Csiszar, Penn went 8-2 during the regular season and finished second as a team at the NCAA Championships and tied for fourth at the Eastern Intercollegiates. Parmacek, Penn's captain that season, tied for the NCAA Sabre Individual Championship and then placed third in the fence-off and was named first-team All-American for his efforts at the NCAA Championships. He took second at the Eastern Intercollegiate Sabre Championships and was the Philadelphia Divisional Sabre Champion. Parmacek was also appointed to the U.S. Olympic Squad in 1952. Off the tape, Parmacek was elected president of the Gladius Society, was nominated for the Steur Award for the junior most outstanding in Scholarship, Leadership and Personality, elected to Beta Gamma Sigma National Scholastic Honorary Society and elected to Beta Alpha Psi National Accounting Fraternity.

Parmacek's fencing accomplishments were further heightened during his senior year in 1953. The team went 8-1, falling only to Navy, 15-12, on February 7, 1953. Parmacek earned the NCAA Sabre Championship with a 32-1 record at the tournament and his sabre victory provided the most dramatic action of the day. With two bouts remaining, he was trailing unbeaten Navy's Frank Zimolzak, who had 30 wins. Parmacek beat him, 5-2, to tie for the lead. Columbia's Steve Sobel upset Zimolzak, 5-1, to deadlock Penn's ace. In the final bout, Parmacek scored three-straight touches to defeat Sobel, 5-3, earning the national championship and first-team All-American honors.

The Quakers won their first NCAA Fencing Team Championship, held at Hutchinson Gymnasium, as the team combined for a 94-7 overall record in 1953. Parmacek won the Eastern Intercollegiate Sabre Championship as well, while Penn finished second in that tournament after taking both the foil and epee team championships. He was awarded the Penn Minor Sports Outstanding Athlete Award at Ivy Day and graduated from the Wharton School of Business in 1953.

After graduation, Parmacek was commissioned as an Ensign in the U.S. Naval Reserve and put on active duty. In 1955, as a member of the U.S. Military Fencing Team that competed in the Military World Championships in Cairo, Egypt, Parmacek finished second in the sabre competition. He was a member of the U.S. World Championship Team in Rome, Italy and was appointed to the 1956 U.S. Olympic Squad.

"Bob Parmacek and his teammates set the standards of achievement for the modern era of Penn Fencing. His accomplishments in intercollegiate fencing made our high aspirations realistic. He was a champion - one of us - an icon for future generations of Penn fencers to emulate." - Dave Micahnik, C'59, Penn fencing coach

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Stan Pawlak, C'66

Stan Pawlak is one-half of the great duo of Pawlak-Neuman that led the Quakers to a 19-6 overall record and Penn's first-ever official Ivy League Championship in 1965-66. Pawlak and Neuman captained the Quakers to a 56-48 victory over Princeton in The Palestra on Tuesday, March 1, 1966 amid jubilant cries from Red and Blue fans, after awaiting a basketball championship for 13 years. Unfortunately, Pawlak did not get the chance to show off his talents nationwide, as the Ivy League boycotted the NCAA Basketball tournament in 1966 on academic standard principles.

But Pawlak's storied basketball career at Penn was not tainted. Although Pawlak was a three-time All-Ivy League honoree and three-time leading scorer for the Quakers, he saved his best for last. The 1965-66 season saw Pawlak earn his stripes, and eventually, a place in the history books. Penn's 6-2 senior averaged 23.2 points per game and shot 48.7 percent from the field. He recorded team-highs in points when he exploded against La Salle for 37 on January 12, 1966, and field goals with 15, in the same game. He still stands fourth all-time in points per game (37), fourth in career field goals made (606) and third in career scoring average (20.3 ppg) at Penn. He was named an honorable mention All-America, South Jersey Basketball Player of the Year (Westmont, NJ), All-ECAC honoree, Undergraduate Varsity Award winner and earned the Bus MacDonald Award as Penn's most inspirational player.

Pawlak went on to play for the Eastern Basketball Association (EBA) for six seasons. In 1969, he earned league MVP honors after leading the league in scoring in his rookie season with Wilkes-Barre (PA). He finished his EBA career as the fourth all-time leading scorer with 5,729 points and five consecutive first-team All-EBA honors. To commemorate the 50-year life span of the league, he was named to the first-team All-Eastern Basketball Association team in 1996.

Pawlak was honored as Penn's first inductee into the Philadelphia Big 5 Hall of Fame in 1973. He was also named to the Ivy League Silver Anniversary All-Star Basketball Team in 1981. Pawlak also earned three varsity letters in track and field and co-captained the 1966 Penn track and field team.

"Playing with Stan was like completing a sentence. I would very often begin the play with some ball handling and movement while he would find the open space to allow an interaction, a pass, leading to a basket. We knew each others movements well and interacted without word or gesture." - Jeff Neuman, W'66, WG'67

An excerpt by Herb Good from The Sporting News on February 26, 1966 reads - "His (Coach Jack McCloskey) fire and enthusiasm produce aggressive, hustling teams, and none has gone more all-out in an effort to meet his rigid requirements than his present quintet...One of the hardest workers is Pawlak, a 6-2 senior from Westmont, N.J., who is one of the East's finest sharpshooters. He's been averaging 24 points per game, the result of being proficient on a variety of shots, and he's also Penn's third-ranked rebounder. McCloskey says (Pawlak) has developed into the best all-round player he's had under his direction. He thinks Pawlak is near the famous Ernie Beck in prowess and value to his team..."

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

David Pottruck, C'70, WG'72

One of the University of Pennsylvania's most dedicated alumni, Dave Pottruck credits his diverse and energetic lifestyle of today to his years as an undergraduate student-athlete. A three-year letterwinner in both football and wrestling for the Quakers, Pottruck continues to give of himself to the Penn Athletics community through his enthusiasm and dedication to the wrestling program and the University at large.

Pottruck began his varsity career with the Penn football team in 1967, playing linebacker for the 3-6 Quakers. As a junior, he helped the Quakers to a 7-2 overall record and a third-place finish in the Ivy League.

In his final year on the gridiron, Pottruck was named All-Ivy League honorable mention at nose guard and was honored with the Football Club Award, given to that senior, who by reason of scholastic achievement, competitive spirit, sportsmanship, cooperation and unselfish devotion to the team, has brought honor and distinction to himself, his coaches and his team. Over his career, Pottruck started in all 27 games he played with the varsity team.

The Penn wrestling team enjoyed two excellent seasons during Pottruck's sophomore and junior campaigns. In 1968, Penn went 10-0 and won its first-ever Ivy League Championship. In 1969, the Quakers won their second-straight Ivy title, after going 6-0 in the Ancient Eight and recording an overall mark of 9-0-1. Pottruck finished his junior year with an overall mark of 7-0-1 and All-Ivy League honors. He also placed second at the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Championships (EIWA) at 190 pounds. In two seasons, Pottruck was instrumental in the Penn wrestling team's dominance of the East, helping the program record 18 consecutive dual-meet wins and an overall record of 19-0-1.

In his senior year, Pottruck went 8-2 overall while wrestling at both the 190 pounds and heavyweight classes. The Quakers finished the season with an 8-2 overall record and a 5-1 Ivy mark, which placed them second in the Ancient Eight.

Postseason, Pottruck competed at the EIWA Championships and placed fourth overall at 190. He served as a co-captain in 1970, the final season of legendary coach Donald Frey's tenure at Penn. In his three years as a letterwinner in wrestling, Pottruck's teams went 27-2-1 overall and he was ranked in the top 10 in the nation as an undergraduate.

Pottruck's interest in Penn Athletics did not end when he received his undergraduate degree from Wharton in 1970. He went on to pursue his MBA at Wharton and served as Penn wrestling's freshman coach during those years. Under head wrestling coach Larry Lauchle, Pottruck led the freshman team to an undefeated season in 1971 and mentored the varsity program to its third Ivy League title.

Pottruck won the gold medal in the 1973 Maccabiah Olympic Games in Greco-Roman wrestling. A University of Pennsylvania Trustee and a model for philanthropic endeavors, Pottruck most recently served as the honorary captain of 2000 USA Olympic Freestyle wrestling team in Sydney. He is a member of the Hall of Outstanding Americans of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame.

"Pottruck was a hard-nosed guy that kept pushing everyone. He was a no-nonsense kind of guy, but was always there to help if someone had a problem. He put 120 percent into everything he did on the mats and gave everything he had all the time - in practice, in meets and afterwards when he coached. Dave was always interested in what the team was doing, always a big supporter. He can look at things and always understand the situation which made him successful as an athlete and now as a business man." - Larry Lauchle, Former Penn Wrestling Coach.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Lawson Robertson

Lawson Robertson, who served as track coach of both the University of Pennsylvania and the United States Olympic track teams, was a participant and a coach of track since 1901. He began his career as an athlete in New York City, winning many championships for the YMCA, and afterwards for the New York Athletic Club. He was particularly proficient in the dashes, pole vault, high jump, shot put, half-mile and quarter-mile races.

Robertson competed at the YMCA and won the all-around championship for the year 1901. As a member of both the 1904 and 1906 Olympic track teams, he placed second in the standing high jump. Robertson had the distinction of introducing the javelin throw to U.S. track and field after the 1906 Olympics in Athens. From 1906-08, he won the 300-yard national indoor championship. In 1907, he finished first in the 150-yard dash in the national indoor championships. Robertson also held the world record for the three-legged race with Harry Hillman.

After retiring from competition, Robertson began his coaching career in 1909 when he coached track and field at the New York Athletic Club and afterwards, at Brooklyn College and New York University. He was appointed head track coach at the University of Pennsylvania in 1916, which began his well-known talent of developing quality track athletes.

As the Penn coach, his 1920, 1923, 1924, 1930 and 1931 teams won the indoor track national championships with his 1920 squad also capturing the outdoor track championship. During his 31 years at Penn, Robertson coached nearly a dozen world record holders including Ted Meredith, W'16 and Larry Brown, W'22. He also served as the head coach of the Olympic track and field teams in 1924, 1928, 1932 and 1936. In addition to his duties as track coach, Robertson spent some years as the conditioning coach for the Penn football team and taught military tactics to undergraduates. Robertson was well-versed in this type of teaching as he spent nine years in the National Guard in New York.

At the time of Robertson's retirement, Dr. LeRoy Mercer, dean of the Department of Physical Education said, "Coach Robertson came to the University in 1916 with an established reputation as a track coach and added lustre to his name and to the annals of sport during his 31 years as head coach. The University has never had finer cooperation, nor more loyal support from a coach. I know the other officers of the University of Pennsylvania join me in this statement." - excerpt from the New York Times, July 8, 1947.

The death of Lawson Robertson removed from the American track and field scene the man who was its outstanding coach for more than 40 years, whose penchant for the lighter side of life ran rampant in the men who ran rampant for him at Penn and around the world. Robertson's unique standing in sport history won him a place with the select group of top coaches in the Helms Hall of Fame, and his name remains one that is still spoken with awe whenever track and field men come together.

A plaque in the name of the late Lawson "Robbie" Robertson was erected at Franklin Field in 1953 and Irving J. Feist, W'29 stated at that plaque unveiling, "... keep alive the example of a leader who saw the highest purpose of amateur sport in its relationship to education, to national character and to world understanding.Robbie's dignity, tact and perspective made him an ambassador without portfolio, of the sports world to the academic, of Pennsylvania to its intercollegiate contemporaries, of the American athlete to those of other nations."

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page

Anne B. Townsend, ED'27

Anne Townsend was an athletic icon even before she stepped on the playing fields at Penn. An important part of the rise of field hockey in the United States, Townsend continued that development as a member of several national teams throughout the course of her life. She was a true "sports enthusiast" and her good will was recognized around the world.

Townsend helped begin the U.S. Field Hockey Association and her reign as the captain of the U.S. field hockey team ran from 1924-38 (and again in 1947). During this time, she was a driving force behind the establishment of the Women's Athletic Association at Penn, participating on the Quakers' field hockey and basketball teams.

In 1921, the University of Pennsylvania began its first official season of intercollegiate field hockey, but no definitive schedule was produced. The team had a great interest throughout campus and wound up playing the Temple field hockey team in its first-ever varsity contest. The Quakers had a much better showing than anyone had expected, losing to Temple by just two goals.

The first season of intercollegiate women's basketball at the University of Pennsylvania was in 1921-22. Townsend captained the team from the forward position to a 5-6 overall record. Penn defeated the likes of Pittsburgh, George Washington, Adelphi, College of Osteopathy and Drexel. When asked whether she felt the first year went well, she replied,

"It was very worthwhile. Aside from the fun of competitive basketball, we learned that to be good sports was really what mattered. In short, from the team's standpoint, the season was certainly a success." - taken from the yearly report for The Women's Undergraduate Record, 1922.

Townsend did not play intercollegiately after that, but her athletic career continued for many years. She was named an All-American in field hockey in 1923. She played in two World Cups as part of the U.S. Field Hockey team and toured Holland and Germany. Townsend served as the president of the United States Field Hockey Association from 1928-32, was the president of the Philadelphia Field Hockey Association and was the secretary of the International Federation of Hockey Associations from 1927-32. According to Miss Constance Applebee, the Englishwoman who introduced the sport of field hockey to the United States early in the century, "Miss Townsend was the best field hockey player in America."

But the interests of Anne Townsend continued to grow and her love for athletics widened her circle of friends. She earned All-America honors in 1934 in lacrosse, and belonged to the U.S. lacrosse team from 1933-38. She was also a state champion in tennis and squash and captained the Middle States Sears Cup team in Eastern tournaments. Townsend represented the Merion Cricket Club in both sports. At 36, she remained the only undefeated member of the Cricket Club's squash team. Over 20 years later, at age 57, she won the U.S. Senior Women's Doubles title in squash. Townsend was also competitive in golf and swimming, and somehow found the time to publish two books, one on field hockey and one on religion for school and camp. For all this and more, Anne Townsend was the first woman inducted into the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame in 1964.

Townsend's wonderment for teaching athletics was almost as great as for playing them. She started the Merestead Sports Camps in 1946 as a way to educate girls about the excitement and endless opportunities of athletic participation. A camp that is still in existence today, part of Merestead's success is its training philosophy as it presents a strong, disciplined foundation to develop a well-honed 'game mind.' An officially sanctioned camp by the United States Field Hockey Association, Merestead is the home to one of the oldest sports camps for girls in the U.S.

Click Here To Return To The Top Of The Page