PHILADELPHIA The women’s tennis team clinched a share of the Ivy League title today, with their 6-1 win over Cornell. They will look to win the title outright at home tomorrow, when they host Columbia at noon.
In doubles, wins at Nos. 1 and 3 clinched the point for Penn, with the No. 2 doubles team suffering a close loss. At No. 1, Ekaterina Kosminskaya and Lenka Snajdrova beat Nisha Suda and Elizabeth Googe, 8-4, while Julia Koulbitskaya and Amanda Avedissian beat Kasia Preneta and Dana Cruite at No. 3, 9-7. Maria Anismova and Charlotte Tansill suffered a close loss to Tamara John and Shayna Miller and No. 2, losing 9-8(4).
After winning the doubles point, the Quakers won five singles points, but it wasn’t easy. Three of the matches went to tiebreakers, with Penn coming out on top in two. Kosminskaya continued her domination at No. 1 singles, beating Googe, 6-3, 6-2. Junior Yulia Rivelis had a hard-fought win at No. 2, as she beat Preneta, 1-6, 6-4 (10-8). Koulbitskaya had a 6-3, 7-5 win over John at No. 3, and Tansill won her match 4-6, 6-4 (13-11), over Cruite. Sophomore Lauren Sadaka had the easiest match of the day, as she cruised to a 6-0, 6-2 win against Ashley Ebbert at No. 6, to remain undefeated this spring. Penn’s only loss came at No. 4, where Suda beat Snajdrova, 3-6, 6-3 (10-6).
With the win, the Red and Blue improved to 6-0 in the Ivy League and 16-4 overall. Up next, the Quakers will host Columbia Saturday at 1 p.m.. With a win over the Lions, Penn would win the Ivy title outright, and earn the automatic NCAA bid.
Penn 6, Cornell 1
1. Lenka Snajdrova/Ekaterina Kosminskaya (P) def. Nisha Suda/Elizabeth Googe (C), 8-4
2. Tamara John/Shayna Miller (C) def. Maria Anismova/Charlotte Tansill (P), 9-8(4)
3. Julia Koulbitskaya/Amanda Avedissian (P) def. Kasia Preneta/Dana Cruite (C), 9-7
1. Ekaterina Kosminskaya (P) def. Elizabeth Googe (C), 6-3, 6-2
2. Yulia Rivelis (P) def. Kasia Preneta (C), 1-6, 6-4 (10-8)
3. Julia Koulbitskaya (P) def. Tamara John (C), 6-3, 7-5
4. Nisha Suda (C) def. Lenka Snajdrova (P), 3-6, 6-3 (10-6)
5. Charlotte Tansill (P) def. Dana Cruite (C), 4-6, 6-4 (13-11)
6. Lauren Sadaka (P) def. Ashley Ebbert (C), 6-0, 6-2