I-V-Y CHAMPS! Women's Lacrosse Beats Brown in OT, 10-7

Follow @PennWomensLax

Box Score (PDF)

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - You want drama? We got drama.

The University of Pennsylvania women's lacrosse team, playing for the outright Ivy League title, provided plenty of it Saturday afternoon at Brown. The Quakers led exactly once in regulation, after Maddie Poplawski scored an unassisted goal just 33 seconds into the game to make the score 1-0.

That lead lasted all of 12 seconds.

Penn's second lead would not come until after regulation had been completed. This time, the Quakers never looked back, scoring two more times in the six-minute extra period to gain a 10-7 victory over the Bears.

With the win, Penn is now 9-4 overall -- four of those wins coming in overtime -- and finishes the Ivy League campaign at 7-0 for the fifth time in seven years and the first time since 2010. For the seventh year in a row, Penn is the Ivy League champion; for the sixth time in that run, the Red and Blue own the crownoutright.

Brown fell to 9-5, 2-4 in Ivy League play.

Tara Rooke's goal is the one that matched Poplawski's opening salvo, and that was followed by three more Brown tallies that pushed the Bears in front, 4-1. Bre Hudgins pushed the hosts in front, and then Abby Bunting made it 4-1 wth a pair of goals, the first unassisted and the second off a Hudgins feed.

Penn finally got back on the board with 2:19 left before halftime, Meredith Cain scoring on a free-position shot, and it was 4-2 at the break.

Hudgins made it a three-goal game four minutes into the second half, unassisted, but Tory Bensen matched that with her first goal of the day for Penn. Bunting finished a Grace Healy feed to make it 6-3, but Bensen again scored. Nearly eight minutes went by before Penn finally scored again, Shannon Mangini converting a free-position shot to make the score 6-5.

Bensen tied the game up with 8:58 left in regulation on her third unassisted goal of the day. However, less than two minutes later, Healy scored off a Kasey Wagner feed to push Brown back in front, 7-6.

Penn pushed the play -- the Quakers outshot Brown, 15-4, in the second half -- and finally drew level again with just 30 seconds left when Mangini scored again.

In the overtime, Penn never gave Brown a chance. The Quakers got Cain's goal just 24 seconds in to take an 8-7 lead; added an unassisted tally from Mangini with 27 seconds left in the first session; then punctuated the win with a Poplawski goal that neatly bookended this day in the final minute of the second session.

Penn will host the Ivy League Tournament in two weeks; before that, the Quakers head to Northwestern nextSaturday to take on the No.4 Wildcats

Download: Rave Report.pdf