PHILADELPHIA - The Penn men’s tennis team clinched a share of the Ivy League title today, with their 6-1 win over Cornell. The Quakers are now back-to-back Ivy champs, and will look to win the title outright against Columbia on Sunday.
Penn got the match started off on the right foot, winning the doubles point. The Quakers lost in the No. 1 spot, but beat the Big Red at Nos. 2 and 3. At No. 1, juniors Jason Pinsky and Eric Riley lost to Nick Brunner and Josh Raff, 8-4. Sophomore Jonathan Boym and senior Mikhail Bekker won at No. 2, beating Josh Goldstein and Weston Nichols, 8-6, while Justin Fox and Brandon O'Gara clinched the point as they beat Dan Braus and Kyle Doppelt, 8-5 at No. 3.
Three wins at the top of the singles order clinched the win and the title for the Quakers. The first to finish was senior Mikhail Bekker, in his last match on the Lott Courts at Penn. He beat Braus, 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 3 spot. Pinsky was next to earn a win, as he beat Brunner 6-2, 6-2 at No. 1. And similarly to last year’s title, it was Boym’s win at No. 2 that clinched the title for Penn. He beat Raff 6-1, 6-1. Joseph Lok made it 5-0 when he beat Jonathan Fife at No. 5, 7-6, 6-4. Penn’s only loss of the day came at the No. 4 singles spot, where Fox lost to Goldstein, 3-6, 6-3, (10-7). Freshman Alex Vasin made it 6-1 when he beat Doppelt 7-5, 2-6 (10-8) in the No. 6 spot.
With the win, the Quakers improved to 12-11 overall, and 6-0 in the Ivy League. Up next, Penn will travel to Columbia for a 2 p.m. match-up on Sunday. With a win in New York, the Red and Blue would take the title outright for the first time in 36 years, earning an automatic NCAA bid.
Penn 6, Cornell 1
1) Nick Brunner/Josh Raff (Cor.) def. Jason Pinsky/Eric Riley (P), 8-4
2) Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Josh Goldstein/Weston Nichols (Cor.), 8-6
3) Justin Fox/Brandon O'Gara (P) def. Dan Braus/Kyle Doppelt (Cor.), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1) Jason Pinsky (P) def. Nick Brunner (Cor.), 6-2, 6-2
2) Jonathan Boym (P) def. Josh Raff (Cor.), 6-1, 6-1
3) Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Dan Braus (Cor.), 6-1, 6-1
4) Josh Goldstein (Cor.) def. Justin Fox (P), 3-6, 6-3 (10-7)
5) Joseph Lok (P) def. Jonathan Fife (Cor.), 7-6, 6-4
6) Alex Vasin (P) def. Kyle Doppelt (Cor.), 7-5, 2-6 (10-8)
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2* 5, 4, 6