PHILADELPHIA The University of Pennsylvania men’s tennis team took one huge step in this magical season and reached one of their major goals by beating Columbia 5-2 and clinching at least a share of the Ivy League title Sunday.
Freshman Jonathan Boym clinched the match with a straight-set win at No. 4 singles.
Jason Pinsky and Joseph Lok defeated Jimmy and Marty Moore 8-3 at No. 1 doubles. After Boym and Mikhail Bekker lost at No. 2, Brandon O'Gara and Justin Fox clinched the doubles point by beating Dan Urban and Jared Drucker, 8-5.
Bekker gave Penn a 2-0 advantage with a 6-2, 6-0 defeat of Jimmy Moore. Pinsky then pulled the Quakers within a point of taking the match by downing Mark Clemente 6-2, 6-4. Columbia got its first point when Urban defeated Jimmy Fairbanks 6-2, 7-5. However, Boym gave Penn its insurmountable fourth point and helped clinch the Quakers' first Ivy title in 35 years when he beat Ratchford 7-5, 6-3.
“These guys have played hard and strong all season long and they deserve it,” said head coach Mark Riley. “They did everything we asked of them this year.”
Lok upended Marty Moore in three sets for the Red and Blue’s fifth point.
Penn ends the regular season 18-5 overall and 6-1 in the Ivy League. Columbia ends its season 13-5 and 4-3 in the Ancient Eight.
Penn's ultimate fate now depends on how Brown finishes its season. Like the Quakers, the Bears have only one loss (which came from Penn). Browndefeated Harvard4-3 on Sunday. If Brown loses against Yale on Wednesday, Penn would clinch the league title outright and thus earn the program's first NCAA Championship berth as a team. If the Bears win out, though, it would force a one-match playoff with the date and location to be determined. Check back to www.pennathletics.com for more details.
No. 50 Penn 5, Columbia 2
1. Jason Pinsky/Joseph Lok (P) def. Jimmy Moore/Marty Moore (C) 8-3
2. Paul Ratchford/Scott Robbin (C) def. Jonathan Boym/Mikhail Bekker (P) 8-3
3. Brandon O'Gara/Justin Fox (P) def. Dan Urban/Jared Drucker (C) 8-5
1. Jason Pinsky (P) def. Mark Clemente (C) 6-2, 6-4
2. Mikhail Bekker (P) def. Jimmy Moore (C) 6-2, 6-0
3. Jonathan Boym (P) def. Paul Ratchford (C) 7-5, 6-3
4. Joseph Lok (P) def. Marty Moore (C) 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5)
5. Jared Drucker (C) def. Justin Fox (P) 6-2, 6-3
6. Dan Urban (C) def. Jimmy Fairbanks (P) 6-2, 7-5