PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - In the first racing weekend of the year, the University of Pennsylvania competed at home on the Schuylkill River in the Navy Day Regatta and earned four wins and had 11 boats in action for an exciting day on the water to open the fall season.
The Quakers swept the men’s open 2-, placing all three pairs on the podium for the 1-2-3 finish. The Penn ‘A’ boat crossed the finish line first in 14:46.76 while the Penn C and B boats grabbed second and third, finishing in 15:08.56 and 15:14.65, respectively.
The Red and Blue also took home first place finishes in the open/collegiate lightweight 4+, frosh/novice 8+, collegiate JV 8+ and the open/collegiate lightweight 8+ races. In the open/collegiate lightweight with cox, the Quakers put four boats in the top-10 in the team race and had a 1-2 finish in the event for the gold and silver performances.
With the fall season underway, Penn will return to action next weekend for the historic Head of the Charles regatta beginning on Saturday, Oct. 22nd in Boston, Mass.
PENN LIGHTWEIGHT RESULTS
Men’s Open 2- Final
1. Penn A (Ford, Ward) – 14:46.76
2. Penn C (Roberts, Lieber) – 15:08.56
3. Penn B (Liu, Howshall) – 15:14.65
Men’s Open/Collegiate Lwt 4+
1. Penn A (Walsh, Konopka, Pratt, Abram, Liebes*) – 10:08.56
5. Penn B (Klehm, Ebner, Hoeltzel, Akar, Hansen*) – 10:11.34
Men’s Frosh/Novice 8+
1. Penn (Williams, Loum, Kern, Kelly, Bowlby, Armetta, Brennan, Allan, Alifimoff*) – 12:50.98
Men’s Collegiate JV 8+
8. Penn (Cruser, Clyde, Blumenstein, Sim, Harrison, Barton, Jacobson, Morledge, Shaikh*) – 14:36.08
Men’s Open/Collegiate Lwt 8+
1. Penn A (Roberts, Loum, Howshall, Ford, Ward, Liu, Williams, Lieber, Liebes*) – 12:55.73
2. Penn B (Walsh, Konopka, Abram, Pratt, Kelly, Bowlby, Armetta, Kern, Hansen*) – 13:08.86
7. Penn C (Weaver, Mann, Hoeltzel, Ebner, Howell, Akar, Klehm, Genyk, Alifimoff*) – 13:59.65
9. Penn D (Cruser, Allan, Brennan, Faustini, Hamdi, Moses, Harrison, Clyde, Kafkes*) – 14:06.07