PHILADELPHIA - On a day celebrating the careers of graduating seniors Eugen Brazdil, Phil Law and Jason Lin, the Penn men's tennis team simply didn't have enough firepower to overcome the #45 Columbia Lions on Sunday afternoon at the Levy Tennis Pavilion. The Quakers' season comes to a close with an overall record of 10-10 (2-5 Ivy).
With several contributors either out or nursing injuries, Penn was in tough shape before the day even began. It got worse as Columbia breezed to a 1-0 lead in the doubles competition, claiming wins at Nos. 1 and 2 to earn the point. The Red and Blue's lone success of the day came at No. 3 doubles. Lin and Rob Wong teamed up to explode to a 6-1 lead out of the gates against Columbia's brother pairing of Cyril and Tizian Bucher. The Buchers roared back to knot the score at 6-6, and with the point already decided, the match went to a tiebreaker where Lin and Wong held them off, 7-4, to end the season on a high note.
That was one of the few bright spots on an otherwise dreary day for the Quakers. Columbia secured straight-set wins in five of the six singles matches to quickly quell hopes of a Penn comeback. Playing at No. 2, Jeremy Court took the first set 6-2 off Haig Schneiderman and held a second set lead before Scheniderman could get back on serve and eventually break Court late in the set to win 7-5, sending the match into a deciding tiebreaker. Court again went up, this time 7-4, before Schneiderman rallied to win 10-8, giving the Lions the clean sweep of the afternoon. Court ends the 2012 spring season with a team-high 16 wins.
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
1. Ashok Narayana/Max Schnur (C) def. Nikola Kocovic/Mark Milbrandt (P), 8-1
2. Winston Lin/Haig Schneiderman (C) def. Jeremy Court/Zach Katz (P), 8-2
3. Jason Lin/Rob Wong (P) def. Cyril Bucher/Tizian Bucher (C), 7-6(4)
Order of Finish: 4,3,1,5,6,2
1. Lin (C) def. Kocovic (P), 6-4, 6-2
2. Schneiderman (C) def. Court (P), 2-6, 7-5, 10-8
3. Nathaniel Gery (C) def. Phil Law (P), 6-1, 6-3
4. Narayana (C) def. Wong (P), 6-4, 6-2
5. Bert Vancura (C) def. Lin (P), 6-4, 6-3
6. T. Bucher (C) def. Katz (P), 6-4, 6-2