Video (ACC Network+) | Audio (WFIL 560 AM) | Live Stats | Penn Game Notes (PDF) | Miami Game Notes (PDF) | Twitter
PHILADELPHIA – The University of Pennsylvania men’s basketball team has had eight days to bask in its first win of the season, but the Quakers face a daunting task on Saturday as they travel to the University of Miami to take on the Hurricanes from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
GAME 2 – PENN (1-0) at MIAMI (2-0)
Saturday, Nov. 19, 2016 * 4 p.m.
Watsco Center (Coral Gables, Fla.)
The Series With Miami
• This marks the ninth meeting between the Quakers and the ‘Canes, with all of them taking place in Coral Gables. Miami leads the series, 5-3.
• The most recent matchup took place on January 2, 2008 with “The U” collecting an 88-62 victory. Prior to that, the last time the teams met was 1988.
• Penn’s most recent win took place all the way back on December 28, 1953 (67-54).
Penn vs. The ACC
• The Quakers are 65-94 all-time against programs currently in the ACC.
• Penn’s most recent game against an ACC opponent came January 1, 2012 at Duke, an 85-55 loss. Penn also hosted Pitt earlier that season, on November 25, and lost to the Panthers 78-58.
• Penn last win over an ACC team came exactly 15 years ago from this weekend's game -- November 19, 2001 -- when the Quakers went to Atlanta and knocked off Georgia Tech 79-74.
Penn by the Numbers
0 • Penn freshmen who had double-doubles in their collegiate debut before AJ Brodeur did it last Friday at Robert Morris with 23 points and 11 rebounds.
0 • Ivy League Tournaments held prior to this season; instead, the regular-season champion earned the automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. That will end this year, when the Ivy League hosts its inaugural Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments March 11-12 at The Palestra on Penn’s campus.
2 • This is the second season for Penn’s John R. Rockwell Head Coach of Men’s Basketball, Steve Donahue. Prior to his return to University City, Donahue was head at Cornell and Boston College.
3 • Double-doubles collected by senior Matt Howard in his career after his 15-point, 10-rebound performance at Robert Morris.
9.0 • Points-per-game average by Matt MacDonald in 2014-15 at Fairleigh Dickinson, before he transferred to Penn. He also was a member of the 2013-14 Northeast Conference All-Rookie Team.
23.2 • Points-per-game average last year for Caleb Wood at Lassen Community College in California; he also averaged 5.4 rebounds and 4.7 assists per contest.
78.8 • Percentage of points from a year ago that return to Penn’s lineup for the 2016-17 season. The returning players totaled 1,506 of the team’s 1,911 points last season.
Quaker Notemeal From Robert Morris
• Penn never trailed in the game, and had a double-digit lead at the eight-minute mark.
• Penn improved to 2-0 in season openers under Head Coach Steve Donahue (both wins coming against Robert Morris).
• Freshman AJ Brodeur had a double-double in his first collegiate game (23 points, 11 rebounds) and became the first freshman in program history to do so; the last time a Penn player had a double-double in his first varsity game was December 1, 1976 when sophomore Tony Price went for 18 points and 12 rebounds in a 108-69 win over The Citadel at The Palestra.
• You have to go even further back in the Penn annals to find the last time a Quakers player scored 23 points in his first varsity game, like Brodeur had last Friday; it was December 4, 1963 when sophomore Stan Pawlak had 28 in his debut in a 91-62 win over Rutgers.
• On Monday, Brodeur was named co-Ivy League Rookie of the Week along with Yale’s Miye Oni.
• Senior Matt Howard had his third collegiate double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds (one shy of his career high).
• Freshmen Devon Goodman, Zack Kaminsky and Jakub Mijakowski all saw their first collegiate action late in the game; in fact, all 14 players who dressed saw the floor.