Men's Basketball Beats Carleton at the Buzzer, 74-72

Box Score (PDF)

PHILADELPHIA -Playing its final tuneup before the regular season starts next Friday, the Penn men's basketball team pulled out a 74-72 win over Canadian power Carleton University Saturday night at The Palestra.

The game was tied at 72 with just 5.8 seconds to go, but Zack Rosen got the ball under Penn's basket and drove over half court before letting go of a running three-point shot from about 22 feet out. The shot was blocked, but a foul was called on the play as he appeared to get hit on the hand as he released the shot. The refs put 0.3 seconds back on the clock, Rosen went to the line and hit his first two before missing the third. Carleton had no chance at getting the rebound and getting the shot off in time.

The points were the last of 17 for Rosen, who also had six assists. Tyler Bernardini led the Quakers with 21 points, going a staggering 7-of-8 from three-point land; he also had three rebounds and three steals. Fran Dougherty got the start at center and had 12 points, while Marin Kukoc -- who missed all of last year due to injury -- came off the bench and dropped 11 points in 16 minutes.

For Carleton, Willy Manigat matched Bernardini with 21 points on seven treys. Phillip Scrubb scored 14 points and had six assists, while Tyson Hin and Cole Hobin both went for eight points and seven rebounds. The Ravens, who were the Canadian Interuniversity Sport national champions last year, outboarded the Quakers 44-20.

Carleton scored the game's first four points, but Penn responded with 14 of the next 18 as Bernardini nailed a trio of trifectas in the run. Manigat tied the game at 14 with a pair of threes and sent the Ravens to a 21-17 lead with another shot from distance.

Penn scored the next 12 points as Kukoc and freshman Simeon Esprit led the charge; each of them hit a shot inside the three-point line and one outside the line in the run. However, Carleton responded with a 9-1 run that tied the game at 30-30, and eventually took a 39-38 lead into the halftime break.

Dougherty scored the first four points of the second half, and then Camryn Crocker finished a layup that pushed Penn to a 44-39 edge. They maintained that lead until midway through the half, when Carleton scored 10 straight points to take a 58-51 lead with 8:45 remaining. That lead was extended to 10 (64-54) with six minutes to play and was still nine (68-59) with just under five to go.

Penn came back. Kukoc started the final run, hitting a trey, and then nearly a full minute later he hit one of two foul shots to make the score 68-63. Manigat missed a three-pointer, and Rosen was able to hit a pair of foul shots to draw the Quakers within three.

Hobin laid in a Scrubb feed, but Crocker shook free of his defender and took a nice pass from Rosen to the rack for a layup and foul. He made the freebie, and the score was 70-68 with two minutes to play.

Scrubb hit a pair of foul shots to make it 72-68, but Rosen again answered with a jumper. Carleton then missed another three-pointer -- this one by Thomas Scrubb -- and Kukoc got the board. That led to Dougherty with a nice move on the right block to tie the game with 39 seconds left.

Carleton played for a final shot, but Phillip Scrubb was called for a walk near the top of the key and that set the stage for Rosen's final effort.

Penn will open the 2011-12 season next Friday at UMBC, tipping off against the Retrievers at 7:30 p.m. The Quakers' home opener comes Monday, Nov. 14 when they host Temple in the earliest Philadelphia Big 5 game in history. That contest will start at 7 p.m.

Download: Carleton.pdf