Men's Basketball Edges Princeton in OT, 62-55

Box Score (PDF)

PRINCETON, N.J. - In a game that bordered on the bizarre in the second half, Penn emerged from Jadwin Gym Tuesday night with a 62-55 overtime win against rival Princeton.

In winning its third Ivy League road game in five days -- improving to 4-1 in the league away from home -- Penn defeated Princeton for thefifth straight time, the eighth time in the last nine meetings, and the 13th time in the last 15 matchups. Overall, the Quakers lead the series, 122-97.

Penn scored just one field goal in the extra session, a three-pointer from Zack Rosen (14 points on the night) that turned a one-point game into a four-point affair(57-53). After that, the Quakers made their free throws to keep the Tigers at bay, holding them to just a pair of field goals in the five-minute session while going 8-of-10 at the charity stripe (after going 6-of-13 there in the second half).

Penn (8-13, 4-3 Ivy) was down, 31-29, at the break, but bolstered by a late run at the end of the first half the Quakers came out and gained a six-point lead in the first six minutes of the second stanza. That lead crested at nine (45-36), but turned almost immediately when Conor Turley was called for a foul with 8:43 to play. In a bizarre sequence, the officials went to the TV monitor, and after watching the replay determined that Turley was guilty of a flagrant foul and kicked him out of the game. Princeton then lined up Dan Mavraides for two foul shots. After he missed the first, the referees again met and determined that the recipient of Turley's foul -- Patrick Saunders -- should shoot the foul shots. Mavraides' shot was wiped off the boards, Saunders instead shot twice, and he made both.

Those shots sparked a nine-point Princeton run that tied the game at 45 with 5:49 to play, but Penn regained its composure and got a pair of foul shots from Jack Eggleston with 4:05 left to go back up. After two more defensive stops, the Quakers went up by four points on a pair of Tyler Bernardini free throws.

Princeton (9-11, 4-3) got one of the points back on a Marcus Schroeder foul shot, but then Rosen hit a jumper in the lane that made the score 51-46 with 1:56 to play. That bucket was answered at the other end by Princeton's standout freshman guard, Doug Davis, who drained a trey over Rosen. Penn turned it over on its next possession, and Princeton tied it up with 23 seconds left when Zach Finley was fouled going for a layup and made both free throws. Bernardini missed a jumper at the buzzer, sending the teams to overtime.

The first half was marked by runs on both sides, as Princeton was efficient on offense and the Quakers were more frenetic. Both teams made 10 field goals in the stanza, but the Tigers needed 14 fewer attempts to get theirs. Princeton was also 6-of-8 from beyond the arc in the first half, missing its first two and then hitting six in a row over a six-minute span midway through the stanza.

Penn jumped out to a 9-2 lead to start the game, but Princeton responded with 13 unanswered to go up 15-9. After the teams traded points, the Tigers went on another eight-point run that upped their lead to 26-15, and the lead was still 11 (29-18) with six minutes left in before the break. Penn went on an 11-2 streak the rest of the way, punctuating it when Quaker senior Kevin Egee drained a three from in front of the Princeton bench as the horn sounded.

Bernardini led Penn with 18 points, while Eggleston had 10. Rosen also had eight rebounds and four assists on the night.

For Princeton, Finley had a double-double with 12 points and a game-high 15 rebounds, while Saunders scored 11 points and snared nine boards. He also had six blocked shots.

Penn returns to action twice this weekend at The Palestra, hosting Dartmouth Friday night at 7 p.m. and Harvard Saturday night at 6 p.m. Saturday’s game with the Crimson will be televised live on Comcast Network (formerly CN8).

Download: Penn21 (@Princeton).pdf