Men's Lacrosse Downed by Cornell, 20-5

Box Score

ITHACA, N.Y. - Penn scored the first goal in Saturday's game at No. 1 Cornell, giving a brief thought that maybe the Quakers would be able to get the upper hand and upset the Big Red for the third time in the last four years.

The thought was certainly brief.

Cornell evened the game less than three minutes later, then scored the next four goals and never looked back. When the game finally ended, the top-ranked team had rolled to a 20-5 victory over the Quakers.

The Big Red improved to 7-0 (2-0 Ivy League), while Penn fell to 4-4 overall and 1-2 in the Ivy League.

Alex Salihi scored Penn's first goal, off a feed from Craig Andrzejewski, less than two minutes into the game to give Penn the early advantage.

Cornell's Max Seibald finished an Eric Pittard feed with 10:41 left in the first quarter, setting the Big Red off. David Mitchell scored with 7:18 left in the first to give Cornell the lead they never relinquished, and 50 seconds later Henry Bartlett finished a Mitchell feed for a 3-1 lead. Seibald notched his second of the day to close out the first-quarter scoring, and then Pittard netted his first less than three minutes into the second quarter.

Penn's defense held firm after Pittard's goal, as the only scoring that occured in the last 12 minutes of the half came with 10:27 to play when Casey O'Rourke scored an unassisted goal for Penn. At the half, the score was a fairly innocent 5-2.

That all changed in the second stanza, as Cornell gave a staggering display ofits offensive prowess.

Cornell scored three goals in a 49-second span before the third quarter was three minutes old, and after O'Rourke netted his second of the day the Big Red came back with two more in a 34-second span. Thatmade the score 10-3 with nine minutes still to play in the third.

Tim Hlavin got a goal for Penn with 7:36 to play in the third, but Cornell responded with three more goals over the next four minutes.

David Cornbrooks scored his first of the day for Penn with 2:26 still left in the third, but that goal was matched by Cornell's Henry Bartlett before the horn. Then, in the fourth, Cornellunleashed six more goals in the first seven minutes to get to the final score with more than eight minutes left in the game.

In addition to O'Rourke's two goals, Penn was led offensively by Andrzejewski who had three assists.

For Cornell, Pittard finished the day with two goals and five assists, while Mitchell had five goals and an assist. Bartlett had four goals, whileSeibald had three scores.

Cornell outshot Penn, 51-36, on the day, and three Penn goalies -- starter Chris Casey, Greg Murray, and Gregory Klossner -- combined for just 10 saves. At the other end, Cornell's Matt McMonagle had nine stops in getting the win.

Penn is now home for its next two games, taking on Dartmouth next Friday at 6 p.m. and then Princeton on Tuesday, April 10, at 7 p.m.